ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I pulled codes from my '87 300ZX NA because my idle is erratic. I got error codes 11 (crank angle sensor) and 21 (ignition signal missing in primary circuit). I performed the test on the CAS as outlined in the attached photo and here: XenonZcar.com Z31 Z31 Crank Angle Sensor

I have 12V to pin 1. When I test for resistance on pin 4 I do not get a clean 0 ohm measurement -- it's around 5 ohms. I'm trying to determine if I should replace the CAS or investigate the harness further.

So I have two questions: What readings do other people get when they test pin 4 to ground? And replacing or repairing that harness sounds like a PITA, how does one go about that?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'll test pin 4 on mine later this week and let you know. If there's an issue with your harness, the next step would be to grab a cup of your favorite caffeine and start looking at the E.C.C.S. wiring diagram. Fortunately, the CAS wiring is part of the efi harness which is not that complicated. I recently sorted out why my ac compressor wasn't getting voltage.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I got 0 ohms. Is your ohm meter digital? Some of the digital ones automatically switch to milliohms when you're close to 0 and can throw you off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for checking! I triple checked this morning and I get 5-6 ohms -- sadly not milliohms.

Time to get the coffee brewing I suppose 😆

·
Registered
187 Posts
Something to consider with your harness resistance measurement. You are not only measuring the resistance in the harness, you are also measuring the resistance in your ground loop. This is assuming the measurement was performed as shown in the diagram, from pin 4 to ground. What ground did you use?

To be brief(er), you probably want to check your cars grounds as well as the harness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts