ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Crane Cam, new rockers, Crane springs.....run's great, BUT I've roached three cam lobes in less than 1000 miles. Motorsport says it's because I used stock lash pads (.155 in). they recommend the Schneider cam, third stage with (.170 in) lash pads. I already have the M/S kit, but don't want to go forward and have it tear up this cam. Anyone go through this before.?..give me some pointers.
My set-up is as follows:

1977 Block/head
Flat top pistons
header
Triple DCOE 42mm carbs
Crane cam .450 lift 272/282 duration

· Registered
507 Posts
The wipe is the key

As these other folks have expertly stated, it is the wipe patern that is the key. Make sure that the patern is consistent and not "falling off" either side of the rocker at all.

As for MSAs advice, I'd take it with a grain of salt. Keep in mind that their "recommendation" is assuming that everything else is stock.

If the head has been shaven, a valve job done, etc. The lash pads recommended may no longer be correct. Unfortunately, doing this right can sometimes be a trial and error type of issue...when I did my cam (which is similar to the MSA 2003 cam) I tried 4 different heights of lash pads before I settled on which ones to use.

I ended up using the stock .120 pads despite MSAs recommendation of the .170.

As a side note....the first time I tried this I used the .170 pads and had the same results you did......I completely destroyed the cam in about 250 miles.

Sorry if this sounds difficult and expensive, but sometimes there just isn;t any simple answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.