ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cracked block in my 81 280zx. for now I sealed it with block seal but it isn't permanent. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and whether I should try and get it fixed or get a new block. If it can't be fixed where can I get a new block. The only place I can think of is pick and pull

Thanks

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
You have answered your own question. I know of no way to repair a cast iron block if it's cracked. A crack usually means..."game over". Sorry if that's bad news, maybe someone knows something I don't.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm-depends on where its cracked...

I have known people who have repaired cracks in cast iron blocks and had it work, but it depends on where. It is possible, but talk to a good shop that is experienced in welding cast iron....there is a definent process to weld cast iron or you end up with more cracks :-( For new replacement...Motor Sport Auto lists rebuilt engines in their catalog. Good Luck!

·
Registered
382 Posts
RE: Hmmm-depends on where its cracked...

My Chevy 409 was cracked on both sides, under the heads. My engine builder welded the cracks, and it has been fine for 10 years now. Depending how big the crack is, you could try J-B WELD on it. It's a 2 part system like epoxy. Any hardware store should have it. It's made to repair castings.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.