ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i can get a cowl induction hood for an '81 280zx?I saw that they have them on arizonazcar.com,but i dont have the need or money to buy a thousand dollars worth of parts to get it over here.Thanx in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
First of all I think that if you called and spoke to Arizona Z Car he might do that for you without the $1000 minimum order. If he has any business sense he would know do this. Secondly, the cowl hood scoop that you are mentioning I believe is strictly for the earlier models. The shape and size of the hood changed in the 79-83 models. What I did was with my 81 was to cut the hood and raise the thing myself. All it takes is a little time, patience, welding knowledge, a MIG welder and some bodywork skills to do the job. If you want more details e-mail me and i will tell you how you can do this project.
On a side note: If you search the web you can come across a few sites that sell strictly fiberglass parts, and they can be added to a Z hood. I do not remember the sites specifically, but if you spend the time you can find them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
First of all I think that if you called and spoke to Arizona Z Car he might do that for you without the $1000 minimum order. If he has any business sense he would know do this. Secondly, the cowl hood scoop that you are mentioning I believe is strictly for the earlier models. The shape and size of the hood changed in the 79-83 models. What I did was with my 81 was to cut the hood and raise the thing myself. All it takes is a little time, patience, welding knowledge, a MIG welder and some bodywork skills to do the job. If you want more details e-mail me and i will tell you how you can do this project.
On a side note: If you search the web you can come across a few sites that sell strictly fiberglass parts, and they can be added to a Z hood. I do not remember the sites specifically, but if you spend the time you can find them.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Does anyone know where i can get a cowl
> induction hood for an '81 280zx?I saw that
> they have them on arizonazcar.com,but i dont
> have the need or money to buy a thousand
> dollars worth of parts to get it over
> here.Thanx in advance for any replies.

Hello, are you any good at fiberglass work? The reason I ask is the good old JC Whitney folks sell a cowl induction hood that fits Z's but they sell in the 70-78 year range, I don't know the difference, maybe its around the headlights where it jags a bit but maybe it can be modified to work on your car. It's something to check out anyway, the hood costs 399.95 and is fiberglass.
Hope this helps....
P.S. I know how you feel about those damm Arizona Zcar folks, they are blowing a ton of business with their 1k min. order. I would like to try that Pantara rear hatch mod. but that's all I want and would have to order another 900.00 or so of parts just to get it. Makes me pretty mad. If they lowered it to 500.00 min I'd order some fender flares but I could do business with them then... I wish I knew enough people to go in with to get that 1k limit passed.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I had the very hood you are talking about from JC whitney. At least i think i did, i sold it because i wanted a more stock look, it looked so awesome that i wish i hadnt sold it though. The dude that owned the car before me had the hood put on professionally, rumor has it that it is a bitch to get to fit correctly. Mine was mounted with those screwy pop-lock things and just lifted off, no hinges. thing only weiged like 20lbs. They also sell a front clip for the zcar that is one piece fiberglass for 600 dollars, something could be added on to this for not much cash.

Anyways,enough blabbering for one post if you have any other q's just post my name

Good luck_evan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.