Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove my old car stereo
Took off the fan knob, heater control tabs and 4 corner retaining screws.
The [email protected]%& Cover Won't Come Off !
I do not want to crack / break the heater cover.
What else can be holding the darn thing in?

Steve in NJ

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
You have to disconnect the control cables. There are 2 on the drivers up above and to the right of the gas pedal. Also 2 on the passengers side. above where your feet go. One is the heater valve, the other is the fan flapp.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Also check to make sure that the nut / washers behind the radio knobs aren't also holding the Heater Control Panel (HCP) down.

It isn't usually necessary to remove the Heater Control Knobs, nor the fan knob.

When you disconnect the cables to the different components, you can usually just loosen and slip out the cable, that way you don't lose the clamp or later have to feed it all in one handed.

Also check to make sure that the radio doesn't have an additional bracket or housing that's connected to the HCP.

You didn't mention the year of your car, but if your HCP is illuminated from behind, then also check to disconnect that wiring harness.

Whatever you do, just be careful, patient and gentle. That HCP is PLASTIC and it's bound to be somewhat fragile. Additionally, they are really REALLY hard to find in good condition, and even harder to find in perfect. We won't discuss cost.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You ! Cover Won't Come Off

to - GrahamBCZ, JOEYTEKNO and escanlon -

Thanks for the note. This is my Friday night project. Sounds like I'll have to do some stretching excerses ahead of time so I don't throw my back out !

Regards,

Stephen Wagner
73 240Z in Cranford, NJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.