ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of projects that I want to do in the near future.

**fuel upgrade kits. Something along the lines of new injectors, billet fuel rail, and adjustable regulator. Any injector size up to 440cc. Bigger injectors would add another $100 to the cost. Projected in the $400-$500 range. Complete kit that you could bolt on your car. How many would pay the money?
**second project would be more involved. Fuel injection system utilizing a GM style Mass airflow meter or a MAP sensor. ECM, wiring, sensors, etc. The Mass airflow could be had with a DIS (coilpacks) option and would have the advantage of working with any change in the motor you wanted to do. IOW a cam change would not require reprogramming of the ECM. Fuel and timing curves could be changed with a "chip" replacement, no down time. Could even have a chip for race gas and a chip for the street. No idea on cost. Probably about $600 for everything electronic needed to fuel inject a 240. Little cheaper for the FI cars. Just something I'm throwing around. I am 75% sure I will buy a beater test car and do this just to see how well it works out. MAy even try it on mine since I'll be wired for it already and all sensors are compatible.

greg
71 240z

·
Registered
996 Posts
One Idea.

Instead of using a GM ECU why not go aftermarket like the speedbrain unit. It is made for GM or ford wiring harness connectors and instead of a chip(which is a pain) every change you have a laptop and very simple program that lets you adjust everything, data log, save custom programs,etc. It isn't very expensive and has proven itself at the track.

Just a thought, your ideas sound great to me. I have always wanted to make custom parts and start a modification business.

Good Luck
Matt

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: One Idea.

Matt wrote:
-------------------------------
Instead of using a GM ECU why not go aftermarket like the speedbrain unit. It is made for GM or ford wiring harness connectors and instead of a chip(which is a pain) every change you have a laptop and very simple program that lets you adjust everything, data log, save custom programs,etc. It isn't very expensive and has proven itself at the track.

Just a thought, your ideas sound great to me. I have always wanted to make custom parts and start a modification business.

Good Luck
Matt

I have a Fel-Pro on my car, but it's a $2000 unit. Even the cheapest programmable unit I know of is $1000+ (SDS). I was thinking of doing this to help the more budget minded people trying to convert. Also a MAF system has the advantage of not having to be tuned very much. The aftermarkets will have to be set up for your car, and reprogrammed every time you make a change. A MAF system would be plu and play and forget about it. Good for 90% of the fuel injection conversions out there.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
996 Posts
Right

The unit I am talking about uses MAF and is plug and play it isn't as finicky as factory about modifications and is about the same cost as a factory unit. However it is not smog legal, not like most Z's are. I understand your reasoning and there would definetly is a market. Are you going to make the wiring harness?
Later
Matt

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Right

Okay, I'll bite. What is a speedbrain? I thought you were referring to the Speed - Pro model. What is "same cost as a factory unit"? How is it programmed? Features, etc.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: correction-wrong

greg wrote:
-------------------------------
Okay, I'll bite. What is a speedbrain? I thought you were referring to the Speed - Pro model. What is "same cost as a factory unit"? How is it programmed? Features, etc.
greg
71 240z

okay I found it. looks neat, but it's for a late model Mustang only. They say more models coming soon, but don't expect a universal one that will work on a Z. I think the SDS is still the king as far as absolute lowest cost in a user programmable fuel injection system.
greg
71 240z

P.S.: the link is www.speedbrain.com if anybody cares to look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.