ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 78. I was wondering if it would be possible to remove or unhook the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). All this thing does is define 3 different enrichment levels; idle, normal driving, and full power. I am getting kind of tired of the steps (jerkiness) between the different levels. So what would happen if it was disconnected? Off the top of my head, I would guess that the computer would sense the normal operating range all oif the time. That would mean the the idle may not work properly and there would be no full power enrichment (the car would be slow). If you hard-wired it to sense full power all fo the time, that would dangerous (or would it?). So, there is no choice but to leave it on. ANy other ideas?

· Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys think mine is fried? The reason I say that is that I have another one. Brand new. I took the likd off of my old one and it looks fine, though. The contacts are in great shape. So I can't imagins that a new one would do any good. But is that what you think the problem is?

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Adjust it correctly...

You will getthe stumbles and jerkieness if you don't have it adjusted correctly. Think about how it works, you NEED a measurable ammount of opening of the throttle to let it transition from idle to normal (at about 1400 rpm) if you have it transition before that, you get the rich bog, and also screws up the transition to full throttle at about half travel.
Key is to stay idle enriched until about 1400rpm. That ensures enough airflow, and proper flap positioning in the AFM to pickup the enrichment flawlessly.

· Registered
184 Posts
the car will run with out it but could run lean if that happen you could really mess up your engine.it may need to be cleaned and adjusted.if you wash your car and it start to run bad then it is most like your tps.just some info for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.