ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my clutch and if the disk isn't aligned absolutely perfectly will I run into some problems putting on the transmission? The spline on the tool I got when I ordered my parts isn't big enough so it could be off by 1/8" . I'm wodering if the force of putting the transmission on will be enough to move the plate where its supposed to be, or should I take it off and make sure its perfect before I even try?
--Casey 280zx 83'

G

·
0 Posts
Just stop and get the proper alignment tool. It does have to be centered or you will have a considerable amount of problems as well as the potential to break something. Certain things just gotta be right and that is one of them. Good luck. John.

P.S. Many, many, moons ago when I was growing up I helped my father put a clutch in his Corvette and he used a broom stick to align the clutch disc. Hey, it worked !!!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I usually just center the disk by feel. Snug the pressure plate enough to hold the disk but loose enough to still be able to move the disk. Then feel the side of the disk through the pressure plate. (There are high places on the side of the plate where you can get your fingers in.) When it feels the same on all sides, slide the tranny in - be gentle. It fits when aligned.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
If you can't get the right pilot tool...

Put the pressure plate on and do the bolts up finger tight. The pressure plate will overlap the clutch disc by a couple of milimeters. Around the circumfrence of the pressure plate there are places where you can put your fingers in and feel the overlap that I am talking about. With the the pressure plate finger tight put a screwdriver in through the opening where the input shaft goes. If you wiggle the screwdriver around you can move the disc into the right spot, verified by checking with your fingers to make sure the over lap is the same all the way around the pressure plate. Then tighten the pressure plate and install the tranny. I work in a tranny shop and have done this 100s of times.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it finally

checked the allignment I did with a socket and it was off 2 1/2 thousandths of an inch which I didn't figure would make a difference, so I gave it a try again with it off that little amount. Took some good pushing with a firm foot on the back of the tranny while letting the jack down slowly, popped right in, thanks for your help everyone,
--Casey

·
Registered
272 Posts
same thing hapened to me

It tooke me 3 times to get the alignment right for the clutch plate, and a whole lotta sweat and tears, live and learn i guess, you really gotta be 99.9999% sure that it is perfectly there... or else you gotta fix it up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.