ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody got an easy way to get the coolant return hoses under the fuel rail on a 79 ZX off, and get new ones on? I really don't want to remove the fuel rail just for this....

· Registered
996 Posts
I don't think my car has coolant hoses under the fuel rail but, I'd unhook the old hose at both ends, slip a nipple in the firewall end, clamp the end of the new hose to it, grasp the radiator end of the old hose and pull to beat the band. With any luck the new hose will follow the old one and you're set.
Dan

· Registered
47 Posts
When I replaced mine I bit the bullet and cut it off. I ended up going to autozone and got a preformed hose of the proper diameter and cut it to the proper length. Then used a thin soap solution to help me get the hose back on. Sorry no easy way to do it. Mine was on an '83

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, I already had to slaughter the one around the side of the engine block...apparently nobody has ever replaced these, because they are rock hard, not sure I'll be able to cut them, but I'm gonna try. of course, I replaced my PCV valve today, and it looked like it had never been changed either.

· Registered
2,096 Posts
when you changed your PCV valve, what kind of shape was your hose in? My PCV hose fell apart in my hands. Aparently it wasnt in working order.... they are expensive too!

· Registered
1,910 Posts
Cutting the old ones off is not the only problem. Getting the new ones on is a b**tch.
You may want to invest in a long-handled-, bent tip needle nose pliers (try Harbor Freight, etc,) I paid $5 for one at a junk-shop type store.
Also, you may be able to remove the pipes that connect to the hose (also/instead) and wiggle them around with one end of the hose installed before you reinstall the pipe and re-connect the other end of the hose.

It still is a PITA.

· Registered
241 Posts
I found the best way to get them off was to grip them at the end over the barb with a pair of pliers and twisting on 'em 'till they broke loose, then they seemed to pull off no problem, with minimal blood shed from the knuckles.

Dylan

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my hose looked relatively new, and in good shape, the clamp on it...well, it's no longer with us....I hate the old style hose clamps that datsun used, but does anyone know where to get more of them so I can replace them with ones that are in an unfrozen state?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, this is what I have learned. THIS JOB SUCKS!!!!!!!

I had to end up breaking the hose off of the coolant line, because the old style datsun clamps had rusted into position, and no screwdriver, nor liquid wrench known to man was going to get them apart. I finally break the 2 inch piece of hose into about 100 pieces and I find that all of this is for about a centimeter wide gap in this line?!?!?!?!?!

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

anyway, I can't get to the other fragment of hose left on the line, and I need to get that off, and it's respective clamp as well. I still haven't figured out how the **** I'm going to get the hose back on afterward.

what is this line for anyway? what does it cool? I can't find it in Haynes, and is it a possible blockoff instead of replace?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.