ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1986 300zx 2+2 N/A started to get warm on me the other day. The temp guage never got to max but it got to the point where I had steaming and hissing going on under the hood. Thought the thermostat was stuck so me and my father bypassed it with a screwdriver to get the car home , on the way we stopped at O'reilly's to get a new one. They had the thermostat in stock but said I'd have to order the gasket if I was to want a new one so I did. Now I've got that ordered but I'm still losing coolant. Fearful of a headgasket I start removing things to see what's going on. I find that the heater hose running off the top of the thermostat housing has a split in it. So i'm trying to get this thing off and it' appears that in order to get to the clamps I'm gonna have to take off my whole upper timing cover, front and back. Which requires me to take the two upper timing gears off? Does this sound right? I'm here to say that the hose is buried behind everything they possibly had available. I guess I was ready to change the CHTS anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you will have to remove the gears to get the rear timing cover off, its not required, but it makes it much easier to do the job. I run my car with out any of the timing covers and I would be able to change that hose without even touching my timing belt. Good luck with it. While in there replace the timing belt, its cheap insurance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That is a thermostat bypass hose, a little L-shaped hose, and it is a bear to get to. The upper rear timing gear covers have to come off to get to the hose clamps, and it is even more difficult to put on. Like the last post said, do it all while you're there and save problems in the future.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. Dad and I just changed out the timing belt and etc. So today after my car sat at the airport for 4 days, after running for about 15 mins, my temp nearly pegged out! So I pull over and put maybe a quarter gal of water to get me home. I notice though that there's a puddle of liquid on the passenger floorboard. It's kinda oily so I'm assuming that it's antifreeze related. Could this be from a cracked hose or bad heater valve?

Upon further review of this freaking dilema, I've noticed that the seal on the plunger of the radiator cap is all beat up so that's an easy fix. But why isn't the coolant going from the overflow jug back into the radiator? Sounds like I have another cracked hose somewhere...so any ideas on that?

Appreciate it, until then, stuck driving an SLK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coolant on the passenger floor to me indicates a cracked heater core. Ask me how I know that one.. I had it bypassed until I could get to that one, it's quite a lengthy repair. Not difficult, just time consuming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.