ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early ’74 260, looking to delete some of the coolant lines and clean up the engine bay. I’m looking to eliminate the two cooling hoses that go through the intake manifold and the one through the carbs (I have Weber down drafts). Living in upstate NY, this a summer car and I’m not concerned about warm up. I know it’s has been done, just not sure if there’s a down side. I’d also like to eliminate the EGR system-any advise on that woul be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,408 Posts
Do you have car inspections in your state? If so, the EGR system would need to stay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you know which lines can go without hurting the car i would do it and if you get inspected and they dont look under the hood id say its is safe to the egr delete if your comfortable and confident doing so

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did this on my 260z. I welded the end of the Y pipe that’s on the passenger side of the engine and plugged the port at the thermostat that goes to the intake. Plugging the Y pipe also stops the coolant from going through the balance tube, which is part of the egr, so that’s fine to get rid of also.

After blocking that flow of coolant, I drove the car a few times and the only side effect was that coolant stopped leaking from the pipe that goes between the manifolds. So it seems safe to me.
The next step for me is to remove those now inactive hardlines and the rest of the egr... but I have to get a running engine back into the car first.

I’ll add a photo that someone labeled for me, identifying the lines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts