Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF!?!?!?!
I was driving the other night and out of nowhere my car over heats. I stoped and the radiator fluid was low. after replacing it I drove home and started to see what could be the problem. my car blows a little smoke, so at first I thought maybe a head gasket, but when I went into my car to clean it out today there was coolant all over the passenger side floorboard. so I think it is something to do with the heater, but I am not to sure, and my Haynes doesnt even mention any troubleshooting tips for this situation, any ideas would be wonderfull.
I have the week off, so I guess ill be working on my car all week.
also it just started happening, this is the first time, and also the first time that I have used the heater in the car. I had to pull all of the crappy old carpetiing out because i was irritated & also wanted to see how bad the situation is.
oh well. here comes another wasted week.
thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
This is a std. problem. There are several leak-prone areas:

Hoses to the heater core and the t'static water valve from the firewall thru-pipe(most likely).
T'static water valve.
Heater core.

All are a PITA to fix due to their location.

You should also get a FSM instead of the other books.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A classic case of bad heater core - not a fun job at all. Maybe, if you are really, really lucky, it will be the heater valve that directs the coolant into the heater core when heat is called for. Also, if you are really, really, REALLY lucky, it will be the heater hose that hooks to the heater valve that directs collant into the heater core when heat is called for. You may want to consider removing the passenger seat when you begin work - an easy 4 bolt job that will make your heater work much easier. You just have to climb under there with your flashlight and see where the coolant is coming from. If you are not ready for the repair you can just bypass the heater by connecting the inlet and outlet hoses under the hood and do the repair when you are ready. Best of luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I experienced similar situation on my 83zxT. What I found was the heater valve (the manual calls it water ****) was leaking. The valve is located on the passenger side, below the glove box compartment, left side.

If yours is leaking, be very careful when you remove it. There is a small thermostat tubing that is attached to it. (The other end of the tubing is attached to the heater core, which is very hard to access.) Carefully pry the tubing out from the heater valve. You will have to re-install this tubing to the new heater valve.

By the way, I got my heater valve from the junk yard. Cost is about $3.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.