ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’ve been a member of this forum for 20 years and I’m really excited to come here with a question I’m hoping you can help me solve. I hadn’t driven my 1972 240 Z in a whole year, but with the quarantine I decided to retrieve it from an offsite garage and bring it home.

I got it started OK with a battery jump and some starter fluid on the carbs, and drove it for 20 minutes to get home. When I got it home, however, I noticed that there was some coolant leak residue on the street where I parked it. I’ve attached a picture. I assume this is coolant?

The car got a new radiator about 20 months ago. This leak came from the front of the car near the radiator. Any ideas what this is? Is it dangerous for continued driving? Could it be a cracked hose since the car was sitting for so long? What should I do? I appreciate your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
836 Posts
Looks like coolant from the small amount of greenish stuff. Does the '72 have a burp tank? If not, it's possible that the radiator was overfilled and it just spat out the extra coolant after getting warmed up.

Here's what I'd do: take a good look around the radiator, hoses and water pump to see if I spot any green seepage or trails. If I don't see anything, I'd just check the radiator to make sure it's full, and then I'd drive it. Maybe I'd carry a gallon of backup water just in case. As long as you don't overheat it, you're not hurting anything. You can drive it, check it and keep an eye on the system until you either determine it was a one-time overflow or spot the problem.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
May not have been burped correctly. So follow what pilgrim stated first. If it happens again investigate burping the cooling system.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It didn’t happen again, I don’t think

. Here are pictures after a drive — no coolant showing. So I should be fine?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Something to watch, but if there's no visible leak and no change in coolant level after a couple hundred miles, you should be good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your guidance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts