ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the catolog from Top End Performance out of North Hollywood, CA. They have a sweet front strut tower brace that is triangulated and ties into the firewall. Has anyone seen/installed this strut tower brace, and how does it attach to the firewall? Do you have to take off the cowling under the windshield to put nuts on the backside of the screws, or can you use self-tapping screws? Also, does the hood latch need to be modified in any way? I talked to a guy at Top End Performance and he didn't even know, not a good first impression on a customer!

·
Registered
529 Posts
It sounds to me like this is a wicked piece. I would assume that for the ultimate performance, you would need to remove the dash to access the bolts installed through the firewall. I don't think that any sheetmetal screws would hold up.

BTW, my impression of TEP is also not a good one. I have seen their Z's at various drag race events and they easily break. They like to use the Electromotive TEC II, but it seems that they don't know how to program it becuase the cars I have seen from their shops run overly rich. Also, a friend of mine bought their intercooler piping for his Chrysler Conquest TSI, which they claim to specialize in, and it didn't fit at all. It was really crappy. He had to send it back for modifications. Anyway, just an observation.

Ian

> I just got the catolog from Top End
> Performance out of North Hollywood, CA. They
> have a sweet front strut tower brace that is
> triangulated and ties into the firewall. Has
> anyone seen/installed this strut tower
> brace, and how does it attach to the
> firewall? Do you have to take off the
> cowling under the windshield to put nuts on
> the backside of the screws, or can you use
> self-tapping screws? Also, does the hood
> latch need to be modified in any way? I
> talked to a guy at Top End Performance and
> he didn't even know, not a good first
> impression on a customer!

·
Registered
15 Posts
> I just got the catolog from Top End
> Performance out of North Hollywood, CA. They
> have a sweet front strut tower brace that is
> triangulated and ties into the firewall. Has

makes sense

> anyone seen/installed this strut tower
> brace, and how does it attach to the
> firewall? Do you have to take off the

nope, me and all my friends all over have made our own for pennies, some for a few more pennies

> cowling under the windshield to put nuts on
> the backside of the screws, or can you use
> self-tapping screws? Also, does the hood

what year car is this we're talking about? On 280ZX's you can access below the windshield by removing the simple plastic 'grate' and then access your upper firewall v. strong curved member from their....I'll put a url below w/ a pic of what I've got just for ideers

> talked to a guy at Top End Performance and
> he didn't even know, not a good first

not even worth a second call IMO. Most are easily made by yourself or a local guy and then when that day comes (and it will ) that you need a custom fabrication you'll know who to turn to....

pic shows the curved member, not close enough for you to see the spherical rod ends which are greasable (wasn't req'd but in stock;^)

HTH, a couple bucks of aluminum plate and some tubing and you could make the crossbrace as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.