ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Converting to TT

662 views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  cville300zx 
#1 ·
I planning on throwing in TT this summer, and I tried a search in the forums for info, but couldn't really find much. I'm looking for the basic modifications I will need to go along with it, and maybe some recomendations, or helpful tips, or a successful search.... Im looking to put 3k into it. Thanks

#4 ·
I don't know much, but I do know that 3k is unlikely to get you very far, even if you're doing the work yourself.

#6 ·
Umm 3k is not going to cover it. Doing yourself it will cost more than 3k even. Especially depending on how you plan to get your items. If your going to do it seperate pieces or buy a whole front clip. But either way it is going to be more than 3k. I'd say around 5k minimum if you were lucky.

I am just about done with my TT conversion.

#7 ·
here is a list of stuff that i would do, and im not trying to be a prick here but unless you have a complete donor car, your not going to get far with 3 grand

60k tune up kit
new harness
downpipes/testpipes
clutch/lightened flywheel
radiator
oil cooler
boost controller
turbo timer
gauges
ecu, upgrade
intake
exhaust
tt fuel pump

if your new motor has lets say leaking gaskets, or blown turboes then the price will just keep going up

since your car is stock do you want a stock tt? if you want to go plain stock some of the things ive listed, you wont need and save some

realistically the swap can be done for as cheap as 5500 and go to whatever. i have a friend who spent 6000, but kept going with things and is now at 9500 with just the motor. i have another bud, who has spent almost 15000 in his swap.

twinturbo.net, mws motorsports, z1- all have very good writeups on how to do it and how much it will cost

are you planning on getting a clip-or piecing it together?

just fyi a clip will cost 3000 alone

#8 ·
Man I dont have a real clue about the twin turbos I want for my Z. Thats why Im posting this. Im basically learning from scratch. The 3k is what for some reason I had in mind for the swap. I was a little off, but basically I just want some turbos. My car is a 90 with 60k miles. The engine is in excellent shape, it was previously owned by some cool surfer grandma in Hawaii. Like I said, everything is stock, but over time I want some headers, the ecu chip, the popcharger, some tips, and most of all some twin turbos. I've glanced at the website zsdaddy provided, but haven't checked it all out yet. Should I get all of the other stuff first? Learn me somethin........

I

#9 ·
The engine in your N/A is irrelevant... if you go TT, you can't keep it. You can't just slap a couple turbo's on your car. Swapping is a Major expense. You might think about selling your na and picking up a TT unless you are set on keeping your na.

#11 ·
I don't agree with the cheaper to sell and buy method which a lot will say but yes, it is not a simple buy some turbos and slap them on your motor. You need the TT motor. Which also means you need all the TT hardware. If you are looking to actually do the swap but still want to do some upgrading now, just do not do any upgrades to your motor. You can things like air intake and exhaust for now since those work fine being used on the TT.

But don't waste your money buying headers and all that if your going to either sell or swap.

#12 ·
Totally agree with Adrian....i have owned a N/A ....Great car...loads of fun to drive. I got the hots for the TT setup and basically asked guys who had "been there,done that". The advice i got two years ago is the same your getting from guys that have been through this. Don't waste your time putting 6k in a car ....investing all you time and the agravation when you can do like I did ...found a TT that had very low mileage.clean carfax and 14k worth of Performance upgrades for 1500.00 more than I got for the N/A. Two years later i'm loving driving this car....nothing else like a TT for seat of your pants get up and go......good luck!

#15 ·
I would never sell my car for a TT:

1) Insurance. Skyrockets when you have TT's, but not a converted NA ;-)
2) No HICAS or adjustable suspension.
3) I've got way too much money in my car that I'd never get back out of it.

If any of those criterion apply to you, stick with your NA and convert it down the road.

Now, about the $3k, it CAN BE DONE, but you're basically going to need to find good deals on everything, be frugal as ****, and have CRAZY self-control (not to mention a great mechanic!). I tried to do a swap on a budget and had thousands and thousands of dollars in performance upgrades before I knew it and ended up selling out.

If you want the easy road, by a wrecked USDM TT, park it next to your NA, and swap everything directly over. That's the most cost effective route and could be done all day long for under $4000.

Good luck.

#16 ·
You may be wondering "why can't I just buy 2 turbos and put them on my NA engine?"
That's is what most ricers do and because they don't understand about the NA engine or just want to ruin it. The reason is that the compression ratio on NA engines are already high. If you put on 2 turbos, it will lead to detonation in a very short time. That's why you can't use you current NA engine and turbo it.

In my opinion, the reason that most people here advised you to just sell your NA and add some more money to buy a TT is because to do a "Right Swap" and to get a good TT out of an NA, it will cost you 10k on the average and with 10K you can buy a TT easily and simply.

It might depend on region, but with the condition of your NA as you said, you can easily sell it for 6-7k and save 3k more and buy a TT easily. I think it might cheaper for you that way.

#17 ·
thanks for all the input. I honestly had no clue that I had to get a whole different engine for the swap. Lincoln, your right I paid 3500 for it but the blue book was about 6500. After all I just read, I'm leaning towards doing that, because I dont have any memories with this car yet. ****......thanks

#20 ·
Just slap an RB25 in there...that'll really get the job done ;)

I've done so much research it is unreal...and as for converting the NA...you may have to sell your left testical to do that!

The easiest way would be to buy the front clip...install that motor with the ecu, tranny, wiring harness...and all that other stuff.

If your current NA has upgrades already done to it, and your looking into getting a stock TT, you're prolly going to be around the same power, but the sky is the limit with the TT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.