ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was told it cant be done because of the wiring harness and i was told it cant be changed. is this true? the guy i talked to is reliable but i just want to hear a little more on the suject.. i would like to make it a turbo because of the 300 + hp that can be pushed without a new cam or headders..

will

300cc.hypermart.net

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Anything can be done if you throw enough money at it. From what I know and what I've read on this subject, which comes up regularly on this website, the cost of this switchover, in terms of time, headaches and $$$, is only worth the effort if you have really deep pockets and really love the car you have. Otherwise, sell it, buy an '81-'83 ZX turbo (there's one in the for sale section right now for $1,300 or so) and throw the $1,000 you'd spend for a conversion on a nice paint job and interior.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i can get a turbo engine and harness for about 200 or just the turbo for about 100-150 and have a friend that used to do v8 conversions that knows alot about the z and inline 6's.. so back to the queastion can the harness be interchanged? is there a diagram for it?

> Anything can be done if you throw enough
> money at it. From what I know and what I've
> read on this subject, which comes up
> regularly on this website, the cost of this
> switchover, in terms of time, headaches and
> $$$, is only worth the effort if you have
> really deep pockets and really love the car
> you have. Otherwise, sell it, buy an '81-'83
> ZX turbo (there's one in the for sale
> section right now for $1,300 or so) and
> throw the $1,000 you'd spend for a
> conversion on a nice paint job and interior.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> i was told it cant be done because of the
> wiring harness and i was told it cant be
> changed. is this true? the guy i talked to
> is reliable but i just want to hear a little
> more on the suject.. i would like to make it
> a turbo because of the 300 + hp that can be
> pushed without a new cam or headders..

> will

> 300cc.hypermart.net

I am in the process of putting a '83 280ZX turbo motor into a 260Z I'm restoring. In this case, as in yours, the wiring for a turbo set up is not present. I should mention first that it is much cheaper to find a turbo motor to use complete (or as complete as you can find it) rather than adding a turbo to your non-turbo engine. Your engine likely has 'flat-topped' pistons which would result in an inappropriately high compression for turbo conversion. Big drag to change pistons! But if you exchange engines complete, you get a turbo that can then be 'enhanced'. But back to the wiring harness/ignition/fuel injection control issue. After much reading and exploration, my solution to this problem (and note that I need at least fuel injection control, if not ign. also) is to go with Racetec's Simple Digital Systems ign./fuel inj./turbo control. See: <A HREF=http://www.sdsefi.com/racetech.htm>http://www.sdsefi.com/racetech.htm</A> They have one of the best sites to get general engine/mod info. Highly recommended to explore it. The total I would have to spend for the SDS is approx. 1200.00. The low mileage engine I found is about 300.00 (with all accessories) but no turbo (it had long since been sold). The turbo I found is 250.00. Believe me, I did a pretty thorough internet search of boneyards to find what I found and I doubt you'd find better prices unless really lucky. However, compared to the cost of rebuidling the L28 engine I do have, the cost for the engine and turbo is not too bad. The extra 1200.00 for the SDS?.....well, I want to go fast, don't I? There's always a price...and the SDS is cheaper but as adequate for my needs as higher priced spreads (like electromotive's system). Read up on Racetech's site to see what the differences are....these folks are very straightforward and informative.
Anyway, that's all I can think of for now...oh I should mention that I had considered taking the 280ZX turbo's wiring harness and using it with the computer etc...but what a can of worms that would be. Plus, with the SDS system I can safely up the boost (to reasonable limits) over the stock turbo configuration....more speed. Yes.
If you'd like to discuss the ins/outs further, just e=mail me. Sincerely,
RDW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.