ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever converted their 240Z from dual carbs to fuel injection by swapping the motor from a 280Z? I've been told that there is some electrical wiring involved with using the brain for the fuel injection system. Would I use the 240 gas tank
or is that something else that would be switched. I once had a '78 280Z that was a saver on gas, and seemed faster than my 240Z. I never had to tune the carbs, and it always started right up. The 240s look so nice (esp. custom ones) that it would be neat to have one that is fuel injected.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Has anybody ever converted their 240Z from
> dual carbs to fuel injection by swapping the
> motor from a 280Z? I've been told that there
> is some electrical wiring involved with
> using the brain for the fuel injection
> system. Would I use the 240 gas tank
> or is that something else that would be
> switched. I once had a '78 280Z that was a
> saver on gas, and seemed faster than my
> 240Z. I never had to tune the carbs, and it
> always started right up. The 240s look so
> nice (esp. custom ones) that it would be
> neat to have one that is fuel injected.
Richard,
i swapped a fuel injected 78 motor into a late 74 260, which was a carburated car. i swapped the complete fuel injection wiring harness along with it and wired it into the car. i had to add a couple of relays for the fuel pump and some other stuff. i don't see why you couldn't use the existing gas tank as long as it has a return line, but you would have to use the later high pressure fuel pump. one thing you would have to work out is the fact that the fuel injection system ties into the electronic ignition on the later cars (which the 260 had already, so it was not a problem), whereas the 240 has a point based ignition.
it is a pretty involved swap.
mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.