ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 85 turbo. it runs good but it's slow as ****. i used to have an 84 non turbo and i'm positive that it was way faster. the turbo sounds like its always spooling, it gets red hot, no power. i was just wondering if i could take the turbo off untill i can afford an upgrade?

·
Registered
562 Posts
You will make the car even slower without the turbo. As the engine and computer is setup for extra air pressure.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I'm pretty sure besides the powerloss that the car will run like crap without the turbo. Better to buy a new or used turbo.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If the turbo is glowing red hot, and you feel no power then you have a bad boost leak, and turbo is spinning out of control. or the shaft in the turbo is frozen (bad). You need to pull the inlet pipes to try to spin your turbo compressor wheel to verifiy its proper spin.

·
Registered
44 Posts
>Author: akeizm
>Date: Jul 3, 8:39pm
>
>You will make the car even slower without the turbo. As the engine and computer is setup for extra air pressure.

right, but for the wrong reason

the computer doesn't care anything about the pressure of the air entering the engine, just the mass of it (it's MAF, not MAP). think about when a turbo car is idling, it still pulls nearly 20 inches of vacuum in the intake.

but yes, the car will be slower, because the turbo engine has pistons designed for a lower compression ratio than in the NA engine. the computer and injection will work fine, but due to the reduced CR, and therefore combustion efficiency, you will have significantly less horsepower than in an NA.

Since it sounds like the car is running ok except for the lack of power, you can rule out a big boost leak as well. If there were a big boost leak, the amount of air metered by the MAF would be more than what was actually getting in the engine. The computer would therefore be dumping in too much fuel, and the car would be running crappy.

Hmm, let's put it all together... so, car is slower than an NA, but isn't running rough/rich... check the wastegate actuator to make sure that it is holding the wastegate closed and you are building boost. if it's not that, i'd suspect a seized turbo (which probably all f'd up now and melted because the exhaust is forcing its way around the blades of the turbine)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.