ZCar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Guys,
The console lid on my 1976 280Z has the hinge in the rear, but all those I can find photos of have the hinges on the passenger side.
I'm curious why mine is different.
If this has been discussed, my apologies. I couldn't find it in the forum.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting. Does the console and lid have holes on the side in the stock locations? I recently rebuilt the console lid on my '77 because all the plastic posts that accept the screws were broken. I could see someone in the same situation relocating the hinge to find good plastic. Do you have a picture of the hinge?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks like an aftermarket replacement to me. My '76 has the side hinges, and the cover is more plastic than vinyl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is an aftermarket padded console lid and hardware hinge. The factory lid is pebble grained plastic with black anodized hinges and a retaining clip. Always side hinged on the gen 1 cars. It's nice looking though. Seems like a good replacement.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Definitely an aftermarket console lid. One of the problems with them is the lid usually hits the cargo stop at the top of the rear riser, making it so that the lid won't stay up while you're getting into the console. The padded console lid with built in cupholders that myself and a few other places sell works much better in my opinion.
There was never a factory lid on a first gen car until 77 and 78. The screws strip out on the factory lids because the mounting screws going into the lid are too short and when you press on them with your elbow it puts too much stress on the holes because of the gap between the screw head and the console itself. The trick is to find a little bit fatter sheet metal screw with a protruding head vs.the stock countersunk style. The fatter part is needed to grip in the stripped out hole, the protruding head transfers the weight put on the lid by the person down to the console instead of putting it on the threads. It's called vertical transference of weight. I usually try to go to a screw that is about 10mm long on the threads. That's long enough for a better grip and still not go through the top of the lid. Never seen one strip out again after that mod. Z man of Washington

Reactions: oregonipa

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it does appear to be an after-market console, but is quite well made. There is no manufacturer's name imprinted on it, but I did find "96928 N3400" stamped on the back of the cover that snaps into the rear of the console. Google those numbers to have some fun.

What is the purpose of the cover I mentioned? The area looks like a good place to hide a small stash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts