ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jim Wolfe ECU is 595 and he recommends retaining an AFM, but using a higher flow unit for 300+ hp. This would put the system at 850. What is the cost of the SDS? Of course the SDS is programmable, but I perfer something even simpler than the wiring job versions. Would I really miss the versatility of the Tech II, SDS type of unit? Any thoughts on other things I may want to consider?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't waste your money!!! I currently run a Tec2 (worth every penny), but I was able to get my zx (a 79 that was turbo'd) to run solid high 12's with the airflow meter setup - the secret? I'll give you a hint, K.I.S.S. The JW ecu is nothin more than a 300 zxturbo unit (virtually identical to the 83 turbo), eith some minor AFM mods - problem is, that once you max out this sytem, youre **** out of luck! No future mods possible!!! The TEC2 is very reasonably proced for what it is, but i realize its not in everyone's budget. The SDS is a stepo in the right direction, but man is it butt-ugly!! LOkks like something out of Buck Rodgers. Anyway, e-mail me, and I'd be happy to share some simple insider trix of the trade. It will take me too long to explain the how-to's here.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Considering Jim Wolfe ECU, any opinions? Long

Opie, I assume ZXT's reference to the SDS being butt-ugly is about the LCD programmer. Butt-ugly compared to what, a laptop? (assuming you have one in the first place). You have 3 choices with the LCD programmer: 1. Leave it connected and mounted like I did so you can monitor and programmer even while you are driving. 2. Leave it connected but hidden away in the car. 3. Disconnect it and leave it in the glovebox until you need it.

About the Wolf ECU, he is misinformed. After the initial mod, any subsequent mod to the ECU is $100 + shipping both ways + downtime for the car. Also, the AFM is replaced with a Mass Air unit from a 300ZX.

Now, lets get to the meat of your question. I assume cost is a priority. The Wolf is $595 + shipping + the Mass Air unit ($???) + $125 for at least one upgrade somewhere in your future. The SDS is $720 for fuel management only and $920 for fuel and ignition + $70 for a MAP sensor + $50-75 for a mounting the magnets on the damper. You will also need a 84 or later TPS. I get one from a 300ZX for pennies. With the fuel and ignition system, you get a special coil and most importantly, the ability to build your own ignition and retard curve in 250RPM increments. You will also need a K&N type filter and hose because the AFM is eliminated (dont know how you put a price on that positive).

Installation. The Wolf is the simplest because you are just replacing the ECU and AFM. The SDS requires magnets mounted on the damper for the sensor that picks up engine speed and crank angle. I recommend you take off the damper and have a machine shop do it. You also have to yank out the factory EFI harness and sensors because they are replaced. To me thats another positve.

In summary, you can only compare fuel management. The Wolf appears cheaper and is definitely simpler to install. But keeps this very important factor in mind. The Wolf ECU will be modified based on your input!!! You must know precisely what your setup is going to be and based on your input, he builds a fuel map and ignition curve. Get it wrong and you will be having long conversations with Mr Wolf. However, if you get it right, it works great. There is a 240Z turbo here that ran 12.3 @ 117mph with an open 3.54 and 225 tires. Note the mph does not match the ET, because he spun the tires all the way through 2nd. He has the Wolf setup but would not do it again. FYI, he has T3/T4 turbo, 8:1 cr and 21psi boost on race gas.

If you lack mechanical skills stay away from any programmable system unless you are willing to pay someone to install it. However, they are a lot easier to install or program than most people think.

Good luck..Scottie

·
Registered
320 Posts
RE: cosidering SDS, bells and whistles

I want an SDS system!! What should i get with it besides map sensor, magnets, and what is a TPS? Also does it come with plug wires?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: cosidering SDS, bells and whistles

Jake, not wanting to get repetitious or sound like like an SDS salesperson on the forum, I will make this brief. SDS has a great website but if you want nitty gritty specifically for the Z, then email me.

For the Z you have 3 choices. Fuel only, fuel and ignition, and fuel /ignition and a coil-pack to replace the distributor. The only option required (then why is it an option?) is a MAP sensor of which there are 3 - N/A, turbo up to 15 psi, turbo over 15psi. Wires are an issue only if you replace the distributor and you only need to custom cut the lengths (if you want it to look neat). You need to buy some plug ends for the coil side.

TPS is throttle position sensor and every EFI system has one. The SDS uses the TPS just like an accelerator pump in a carburetor. It senses the throttle being opened and gives the system an extra shot of fuel for a crisper throttle response. You can buy it as an option already wired or buy one from a 300ZX for $10 and figure out the wiring yourself. Of course if you wire it wrong it will confuse the ECU and you will get a shot of fuel when you dont need it.

BTW, you will also need a K&N type filter and hose as the AFM is eliminated. Another option is to retain the stock aircan (ugh) and run a hose directly to the turbo inlet.

Scottie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.