1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am considering a 1982 280ZX T-top

The Details...
150K miles, I did test drive it around the block and it sounds ok. One thing I noticed was that there was a constant hum from the back end; I am guessing this is the fuel pump, is that a normal sound or a signal of a problem. The clutch was tight. The owner has no problem with the vehicle being inspected by a mechanic, are there any chronic problems to be wary of that a mechanic should look for. The body has some minor corrosion, which should not be a serious problem. The dashboard is cracked in several places and the headliner is coming loose in other places. Other than needing a new paint job and the obvious wear and tear it seems to be in fairly good shape.

My questions for the Z Gurus. The owner is not sure of a fair value. I was thinking 800 to 1,000. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jimbo308

·
Registered
620 Posts
I paid around 2k US for mine with 140k miles with small amounts of rust and drove well, if you dont hear anything major and it idles and drives well then it should be a good vehicle, i think the interior and rust is what determines the value of the 280zx :)

Mat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Fuel pump noise

yes the hum from the rear is the fuel pump running during driving. It should stop when you turn on the key after 3 seconds and stop if the engine stalls. Series 2 Targas are nice rides a bit heavy and the engines a bit too anti pollution when compared with JDM early S130 L28's but apart from that they just go and go.

·
Registered
744 Posts
if it's kept up, the miles are no problem. mines running at 285K+. I'ld check the heater controls, esp. if it's auto-temp. And look for rust, on the front frame rails, floor boards, spare tire well. Electrical gremlins creep up in these also.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you buy it, be sure and check and/or change ALL vacuum hoses and the gas lines in the engine bay.
If they have not been recently changed, they surely need it.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
As everyone has said, they run forever if cared for, and even fairly abused engines can be brought back to nice running condition, which doesn't sound like your situation, though. Humming is fuel pump. It COULD indicate that the FP is about to go out (they get louder as they get older), but could just be a noisy one, too. Also, they all have cracked dashes.
You don't mention what area of the country you are in, but I suggest you look closer at the rust. The achilles heel of first and second-gen Z cars is rust. Once it starts, it usually progresses rapidly and can literally eat up a car in a few years. If you are anywhere but the Southwest (CA, AZ, NV, TX, etc) where its very dry, or if the car has not been garaged a lot, it could well have lots of rust that's not obvious. Look under the car, at rockers, under the carpets, etc. To make sure the rust is minimal or non-existent. Replacement panels are available, but they are expensive and time consuming to install.
Otherwise, if the car IS mostly rust-free, it sounds like about $1000 is a fair price.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Did the hum happen only when the car was moving, or all the time the motor was running? If only when moving, then it could be a rear differential that is low on lube or going out for some reason, but most likely the fuel pump. I'll bet the inlet screen of the pump is partially clogged with debris from the tank, it's why alot of us run a small Fram G-3 fuel filter between the tank and the pump.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: Fuel pump noise

check the muffler too, my car makes a humming noise from the back but it made other weird noises from the muffler - until i replaced it, sounded like a bubbling noise... weird stuff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.