ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a na 1980 280zx without an O2 sensor. California z's were the only ones required to have stoi' sensors that year. Looking at the wiring diagram on my car it seems likely that I could wire (there may already be a wire for it) in an O2 sensor into my ecu and that it would function as a closed loop system. Am I full of it or what? My other option may be to get a 1981 ecu with an O2 sensor and directly install it. The wiring looks exactly the same.

Here is what I am trying to do. I have read that running a closed loop fuel injection system can put pollution count below specs without even having the catalytic converter on. This way I wouldn't have to constantly try to keep up with the changes of the engine.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
I think your reasoning is correct. If wire is already there then most likely you just need to replace the control unit from the same year as yours and add the O2, but make sure that the wiring is identical between years if you get a later model control unit. Make sure they are compatible also as far as having the resistor pack or not. Not looking at book right now but same thing applies with altitude sensor and wires. If the wires are there you can install a switch to switch IN the altitude correction. BTW what changes are you constantly having to try to keep up with?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think maybe saying changes and constantly wasn't the best choice of words. What I meant to say is the condition of the motor, ie. rings and wear and tear.
Thanks for the post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.