ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did it. Since I did not get any offers on my Velo Rossa I decided to get to work on it. I cut the front and rear suspension completely off, as whole units. I will not need these so they are for sale. The car was originally a 77 280Z with an R200 diff. If interested make an offer. Please note that I tossed the rear sway bar.

Thanks,

Rev. Green

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Way to go Rev!!

Thanks, I was a little frustrated for a while, but I decided to go for it. Thanks to people like you and Steve for your support. I have decided to use a G-Body GM frame and suspension shortened to the appropriate wheelbase. I will then attach the unibody passenger compartment from the Z to the new frame. I over simplify but it isn't that difficult of an idea.

I chose this frame because it is strong, there are millions of them and the suspension is decent in stock format and there are MANY aftermarket upgrades available. Plus standard GM 5 lugs and disc brakes are a plus too.

I will try to get pictures as soon as I can.

Rev. Green

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>I'd like to see those pictures</b>

WOW.... sounds like alot of work... I'd like to see the pictures when you have them.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
RE: Way to go Rev!!

I like that.....you're not afraid of anything. Cut this off of that and weld it to this....after my own heart :)

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Won't the body sit too high?

Rev,

Using a GM frame under the unibody seems to me would raise the body too high.
Is this a worry? If you then try to lower the suspension to adjust I'm guessing that the
suspension would drag on large bumps. How are you going to handle this?

Chris

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is too cool Rev!

I applaud your "let it all hang out" attitude towards the project. Jeez, I was so apprehensive about just doing the standard kit, and here you are moving at light speed towards the new millenuim.

CONGRATS and may God be with you!

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE: Won't the body sit too high?

No, it shouldn't sit too high. First, the unibody will drape over the frame rails. The car should not sit any higher than a standard Z. Also the GM suspension is easier to lower. As a matter of fact the Donor GM (a '78-'88 Monte Carlo, Olds Cutlass, Pontiac Grand Prix, etc.) did not sit overly high to begin with. This frame also works well because it sits well within the width of the Z rocker panels. The biggest expense/difficulty is the shortening of the frame to the proper wheel length. The best part is I will be able to use GM after market rims, or I do have my eye on a set of '98 16" Camaro Z28 5-spoke Rims and tires (like new) for a very reasonable price of $500. Now that is some money savings.

The suspension setup is quite different from the Z. One reason I wanted to go with this frame is I don't like the look of Struts. Just a personal thing. Some may say it won't handle as well as a Z. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Can't tell until it is built. Besides, I am not building a race car, I am building a Hot Rod. I want it to be DIFFERENT!. He He. But I may drag race it and even try a little autocross for fun, but these are not imperative.

By the way, I have never even driven a Z or even ridden in one. Although I once raced a 90-something 300ZX. I thought it was a beautiful car in my rearview mirror. Of course I was driving my '94 Corvette which would look good in a 911TT Porsche's or Ferrari's rearview mirror. It just depends on who you race. I never raced camaros or mustangs or most any other car for that matter. However, the 300ZX looked pretty fast, but looks can be deceiving.

I have only seen one older Z on the road here in Iowa. It was a black 280Z and it looked great. I was quite impressed, since it was the first Z I have ever seen complete other than in pictures. I can see why you guys love your cars so much. 

Rev. Green

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RE: This is too cool Rev!

Steve,

I am a little apprehensive (and fickle too apparently) about this project. But, heck I don't have much to lose other than time and a little money. If the frame mods don't work out I will probably find a new donor and do it the way you did. But hey, nothing ventured nothing gained. Besides, your car looks so incredible because you went beyond just the kit. You filled in the under hood area with filler and painted it (can you tell I really like how that turned out?) and went to the trouble and expense to make the kick-a** dash and gauges. So you were daring and adventurous too. But I don't want to steal your ideas, so I had find something different. Boy did I ever.

By the way, guess where I got the idea for mounting the Unibody onto a frame. Well I was checking out 1941 Plymouth for sale and they had picked the body off its original frame and put on a 78 olds station wagon frame. A light went off in my head, OK maybe it fizzled a little and finally sputtered on. Then I went to the JUNK YARD and talked to the very helpful people there and they recommended the 78-88 G-body frames for ease of use and best cost. $300 for a rolling chassis with an 8" rearend, disc brakes, plus wheels. And the best thing is you can actually find some rust-free frames (well some ugly surface rust, nothing the sandblaster can't cure).

So, now I am armed with a new idea (man's worst enemies are his own ideas) to keep me occupied while I wait for my wife to go into labor. We have had three false alarms in the last week. Very nerve racking.

Well take care,

Rev. Green

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Ahhh! No wonder....

You fear nothing! You have been living with a pregnant woman! I hear tell that can be taxing from time to time.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RE: One suggestion if I may

You mentioned shortening the frame to fit the stock wheel locations. The one thing that took me a lot of fussing with on the fiberglass kit was getting the rear fiberglass tub to go far enough forward to center the wheels in the wheel wells. At times I wished that I could shift the entire rear suspension back 1-1/2" to center it properly. As it sits, I feel that my rear wheels are still 3/4 - 1" too far forward. It may behoove you to have the rear tub mounted in it's final location (careful, temporary location MAY be different that permanent mounting location) so that you can make this kind of adjustment to the rear end location.

Email me if you have any questions, I have LOTS of tips and tricks that I learned from the master of all VR builders.

Steve G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.