ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My compass is stuck in one position (souteast) It does not move. When I try to adjust the switch in the back near the spare it will move to a different area but will remain there. Any ideas? This is the second one I put in the car but they both are doing the same thing.

·
Registered
805 Posts
There is a certain way you need to adjust it. It requires setting it to N or Something then driving the car in a circle. If you have the owners manual I think it describes the procedure. If not:

Go Here: http://webferret.search.com/click?wf,z31+compass,,www.z31.com/oboard/archives/view.pl?109,,aol

Or read here:

Subject: Compass Calibration Procedure
For those of you that want to recalibrate the compass which probably doesn't work, here is the quick and easy procedure:

1. Locate the compass control unit next to the spare tire. It has 2 switches and 2 dials on it.

2. There are 2 switches and 2 dials on the control unit. Also there is printed on the case of the unit, the letters "N" and "E". From now on the switch and dial closest to the "N" will be called "N Sitch" and "N dial", and the ones closest to the "E" will be called "E switch" and "E Dial". This should make things clearer.

3. Get a compass and face the car exactly NORTH

4. If your the car's compass is more only 1 increment off, then go to step 7

5. If the cars compass is off to the west, then move the N Switch to the "+" position. If the needle is off to the East, then move the N Switch to the "-" position.

6. According to the manual, this should bring the needle to within 1 increment of North. However it didn't with my car. If it doesn't with your car, just wait 20 seconds or so, and then move the N Switch back to the nuetral position.

7. Turn the N Dial so that the needle moves towards North. Go past North by 1 increment, and then go back to North. Make sure the needle is indicating exactly North.

8. Turn your car to face exactly East. If your car's compass is off by only 1 increment, then go to step 11

9. If the needle is off to the North, then move the E Switch to the "+" position. If the needle is off to the South, then move the switch to the "-" position.

10. After step 9, your needle should be within 1 increment of East, however, my car wasn't and maybe yours wont either, if this is the case, then just leave the switch there for about 20 seconds, and then move the E Switch back to the neutral position. If it does move to within 1 increment, then move the E Switch back to neutral also.

11. Turn the E Dial so that the needle moves towards East, and go 1 increment past East. Then move it back to indicate exactly East.

12. The Digital Compass should now work correctly!

This was copied from z31.com site.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! to all that answered but adjusting or calibrating is not working the guage is not moving at all when driving. I was under the impression that calibrating it will only make the compass correct in its reading not work. And the Haynes dont go into great detail about this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.