ZCar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 280z
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

this may be a dumb question. I’ve searched it before and found that most people say do what you want with it.
My questions are-

Does changing the color of the engine block change the devalue the car?

Does changing the interior color from the original change the value of the car?

Does changing the paint for another oe paint change the value of the car? Similar question will custom paint devalue the car

Now I know you want to say do what you want. But in general is it better to stick with the original teal engine block? I would think it would to the right guy..

And if you were to change the engine block color what would it be?

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,167 Posts
You don't say whether you have a Z-car, nor which year or model. That's not very helpful.

On a 240Z of any year, if you have the opportunity, don't change ANYTHING from stock. Period. Those cars are going up in value and the nearer they are to "as delivered," the better.

Pretty much the same for 260 and 280.

The 280ZX cars are holding steady at resale around $10-12K. They will probably go up in value, but it may be a few years.

300 and later models are not collectible at this time, so do what you want.

In general, keep in mind that anything you change may be something that the next guy will hate. Personally, when I buy a car I absolutely DO NOT want custom suspension, ignition, fuel or any other mods that may be a pain in the ass to maintain or repair. If I'm going to buy a car like that, I want a build sheet listing every part, every mod, and the brand name and model number. Hunting for unidentified aftermarket parts is a huge pain in the butt!!

My opinion: Any mod done poorly is a deduct. Any change to the interior that isn't carried out so it looks original is a deduct. ANY holes or non-reversible mods to the interior or exterior should be avoided.

Engine color? I don't really care, unless it's a 240; then factory color only.

Exterior color? This is just my opinion - but unless you're going to pull the glass, interior and engine and repaint every inch completely, don't change the color. I personally hate finding different colored engine bay, door sills, etc.

As they sez on the Interwebz, YMMV.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Depends on why you are buying the car. Are you buying it as an investment (bad idea)? Do everything as original as possible. But the generic S30 now is fender flares, wide wheels, and slammed on coilovers. So maybe it doesn't matter much. Quality work is quality work.

If you want to build the car for you, drive it and have fun in it, do whatever suites your tastes.

Reactions: 1977280zdude

·
Registered
77 280z
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I left the car out for the reason of just wanting to hear general consensus. Because I have read everywhere to do what you want with a 280z
I have 1977 280z It has 54k miles I’m the second owner. Matching numbers
I want to put my own touches kind of like but not to the extent of John Sarkisyan, or Daniel Wu’s Datsun 510 and Honda s800.

I know the 280 isn’t as big of a collector car than say a 240.

I want to change the valve cover color, maybe the engine block to fit the color I will be changing on the car. It has surface rust in areas so it will need to be stripped down and done properly.
OEM Plus type of feel with a hint of me.
Same with the interior of those builds.

these are videos of the builds-
Datsun 510
Honda s800
John sarkisayin builds-

Point to note I’m not trying to make some custom dash type thing. More of an oem plus

·
Registered
77 280z
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve got the car running now. But every bolt and part that’s taken off is being clean and painted as well. So I’m at this stand still now do I go all in if I do I’m going to want to change the color of things etc. or do I keep it stock and drive it as is for a while. Knowing it will eventually need some sort of restoration in the future. like matching the valve cover to the paint etc. getting each bracket refinished or powered coated etc.
Even though it’s a 280z would it be worth more just keeping those things look stock. Or adding those little details that make the car pop. You get what I’m getting at.. oem just cleaned up refined.

then their is engine modification like a stroker etc. I would probably just do performance cams that don’t affect the efi and headers

·
Registered
47 Posts
"would it be worth more...."
Worth more to you or worth more to someone else? If you don't plan to get rid of this car, build it how you want. You'll be happier with it. If you're planning to sell it and make some money, keep it stock. Of course, plating all the brackets and bolts, replacing the seals, doing the metal and body work to an OEM level, etc.., is going to eat up a lot of money. If all you change is the colour of the valve cover and engine block, that probably wouldn't keep a purist away. A weekend or so and all that can be changed back to original. If you change the interior colour, resale would be better if you kept it another factory colour that was available on your model. i.e., changing it from beige to black would be better than changing it to green. Don't worry too much about the engine, as far as I know, the engines and transmissions are not number matched in Z cars. In general, the block and head (L28, N47, etc) are matched with certain years and models but the number following L28 on the block is not matched with the VIN.

"just wanting to hear general consensus"
It sounds like you admit that you've heard it, "280, do whatever you want with it". Truth probably is that the general consensus in 2010, 2020, and 2030 are likely to all be different. As 240's and 260's keep getting snatched up and their value goes beyond the budget of a mere hobbyist, people are going to shift focus to what's attainable. The 280. The 280 will never be as collectible as a 240 but in 2030, it will be more collectible than it is now. That's my prediction, based on nothing other than my gut so, not worth that much huh?

I have wrestled with your questions a lot. My situation, I'm currently restoring a '77, beige metallic, beige interior, 5speed, lower and upper body mouldings, etc. That beige on beige makes me cringe with how ugly I think it is. I have what I think is mostly an acceptable list of mods without deviating from factory too much. Anyway, pm me if you want to bounce the acceptability of different mods off each other. Or, since this is your thread, you can open them up to everyone here.

Oops, I can be more direct but again, this is my opinion and I'm by no means a long time Z guru so, add salt.

Does changing the color of the engine block change the devalue the car? - Doubtful, unless you're going for a concourse resto

Does changing the interior color from the original change the value of the car? - Maybe. If you keep it another period correct colour, probably not. If you deviate from an original Datsun colour, it could definitely bring the resale down. You'd be looking for a buyer that wants whatever colour you picked rather than a buyer who is expecting to see a Datsun colour interior already.

Does changing the paint for another oe paint change the value of the car? Similar question will custom paint devalue the car. - Same answer as the interior. I'll add, if you change the colour, you better remove the windows, doors, trim, and paint the engine bay. If things are just masked off and the respray is obvious, that's a negative. Keep it the original colour or go all out with the new paint.

·
Registered
77 280z
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers.
Idk I saw a man who zinc coated every bolt and metal peace. To full restore a car to oem off the showroom look. Than I see these builds classic restored clean. With their own idea of giving a car it’s own personality.

I understand the value of the oem off the show room concourse look. Although it’s nice I get the respect for it and I know I can build it. It may not be for me. Personally.. but I want that as well agh..

Pulling my brains apart but definitely the concourse way is much easier. Than making something a work of art IMO.
Like if the idea of copper element through out the car. Or maybe having the dash repaired and stitched to where it looks modern..

How would a 280z be made during the present time? Do you use the original materials. Or do you change them to maybe resemble the present day. Stuff of this natural really has been at war in my brain..

Right now the car is pacific blue with a beige interior. Not the typical style car I would want to drive myself. So the colors have to go.. is it an investment yes.. is it a hobby also yes..
I think it’s tough to keep that balance.

Like new car. If someone has full bolts on desirable modifications and the car looks pristine vs a car completely stock but looks in good shape. Are the two cars any different in value?
I’ll be honest I believe so.. but maybe in the purists eyes no. That fine line between purist and some who appreciates the mods as well. Are there more purists or more people who appreciate the performance and artistic aspect of cars in the world..

First I thought I would daily the car.. then I started realizing that the car was untouched basically except for the radio and speakers.. even the battery was one of the og 70-90 hitachi batteries that were put in the car from the dealer. So that’s where this back in forth went about. I believe I’m going to try to have the thought how can I improve it for it to last another 50 years.. with my own touch.. how far I go well once I get there I will let you guys know!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in same boat. 1971 240z. Car has been painted white. I believe it was brown originally but, not 100% sure. As I disassemble, hoping to find more proof of original color. Car does not have original engine. Has a L26 block. With all of that, not sure which direction I want to go. Very confused!!??

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess its comforting to see others struggle with what to do with there Z. I purchased a 1978 280Z almost 3 years ago. My plan was to paint it white (which has always been my favorite and to also match the Z I had back in my mid 80's college days). My problem is the more I look at my car I thinks its about 99% original and I've grown to appreciate it. It's rust free (spent its first 30 years in california) and I think it may have the original paint. It does not look good, has some dents and scratches and I don't like the color (silver/grey). The huge 280Z bumpers are even in nice shape. I will never sell it so I'm not concerned about the value, but I'm concerned now about changing an original car. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
77 280z
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See I feel the same way.. but I believe in my opinion in 10 years 20 years.. whatever these cars will be impossible to find without a wide body. Or as they say uncut. That’s where the trend is rn. Other than that Idk man it’s tough.

but the suggested posts above reall help with the perspective of the car. Will a 280z ever win concours I don’t believe so. Can a 280z win a car show yes.. cana 280z be a show car yes. How far do you want dig into a car.. there’s a fine line between an old car in pristine condition and an old car being old..

By the looks for your car. I would personally start with a complete detail. All the way down to cleaning the dirt out of the cracks of the spare tire, all the nooks and crannies in the engine bay, interior, wax and sealant on the paint, restore the trim. And see how you feel about it. Make it look new again it’ll be worth it

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,167 Posts
I guess its comforting to see others struggle with what to do with there Z. I purchased a 1978 280Z almost 3 years ago. My plan was to paint it white (which has always been my favorite and to also match the Z I had back in my mid 80's college days). My problem is the more I look at my car I thinks its about 99% original and I've grown to appreciate it. It's rust free (spent its first 30 years in california) and I think it may have the original paint. It does not look good, has some dents and scratches and I don't like the color (silver/grey). The huge 280Z bumpers are even in nice shape. I will never sell it so I'm not concerned about the value, but I'm concerned now about changing an original car. Any suggestions? View attachment 108179 View attachment 108180 View attachment 108181 View attachment 108183
My suggestion: keep it silver, repaint in original color if needed, and it you want accents add them with tape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts