ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting my Z, I've noticed that it won't fire up on the first time I key the ignition. Most times it will take several tries, and on occasion, especially overnight, I will have to apply the manual choke in order for the engine to turn over. I've also noticed that even after letting it warm up for a few minutes that on a few occasions, when I shift into gear, the car will essentially stall out.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or have any suggestions for me to help improve the situation?

Rob

·
Registered
863 Posts
Sounds like the car is running on the lean side to me. Sync the carbs and adjusted the mixture screws.

> When starting my Z, I've noticed that it
> won't fire up on the first time I key the
> ignition. Most times it will take several
> tries, and on occasion, especially
> overnight, I will have to apply the manual
> choke in order for the engine to turn over.
> I've also noticed that even after letting it
> warm up for a few minutes that on a few
> occasions, when I shift into gear, the car
> will essentially stall out.

> Has anyone else had a similar problem or
> have any suggestions for me to help improve
> the situation?

> Rob

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Cold starting 72 Z

> Sounds like the car is running on the lean
> side to me. Sync the carbs and adjusted the
> mixture screws.

Great. I took it in to a Nissan dealership and asked them specifically to sync the carbs (A shop in Seattle -- Z Sports -- which I can't get to now because of the distance and snow told me this was the problem about a month ago), to which the dealership replied that it wasn't necessary, they adjusted the idle and timing and everything should be fine. Luckily I found a local member of the Internet Z Car Club who owns three Zs and was able to point me in the right direction of a shop that he's been taking his car to. Thanks for affirming two things for me -- that it was the carb sync, and that Nissan dealerships are not always the best route to go.

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.