Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 1986na with 114K miles has been starting up rough the past few months when the car is cold and has sat over night. Upon start up it seems to be missing/idling rough and I detect a "gassy" smell. Unless I put my foot lightly on the gas peddle putting it up to at least 1k RPM's for a minute or two it will keep cutting out and thus I will have to keep restarting it. When the car is warm after driving a mile or two it runs GREAT.

After searching the archives on this board for other Z31 owners that have posted related problems, it appears that I might need a new coolant temperature sensor, since this is a common problem with our cars and mine has suggestive symptoms.

I am looking at the current Victoria British catalog (Fall 2005) and on p. 81 there is a "coolant temperature sensor" selling for $19.95. Is this the one that the Z gurus are referring to as what might need replacing? And since it is relatively inexpensive should I order one, install and see if the problems is fixed?

Or should I try something else first?

Thanks for the help,

Jason

·
Registered
639 Posts
Run codes. It sounds more cylindar head temp sensor, not coolant temp sensor.

Roger

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Jason,

roger509 is correct. Before you purchase any replacement parts pick up a Haynes manual (if you don't have one) or download the Factory Service Manuals (carfiche.com) for the procedure involved in running the ECU codes. They will tell you if any of the emissions components are in need of replacement.

I have actually not heard of anyone replacing the coolant temperature sensor on our z31's. It is more likely the CHTS (Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor).

Run the ECU codes, they will tell you if it is or isn't the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much does the CHTS cost, and is it dealer only?
How do you check codes? Is this sort of like using a voltage meter and hooking it up to the ecu and counting the pulses?

Thanks for all the help!

Jason

·
Registered
548 Posts
British Victoria has the CHTS and you can get it from NAPA or a good autoparts store. My 84 was doing the same thing. It would spit and sputter until I got it out on the road. Changed the CHTS and it went away.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
For some reason, I went OEM Nissan with this one. Make sure you replace the CHTS subharness too while you're there.

<http://www.az-zbum.com/information.common.parts.shtml>

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
surfzx -

Did you figure out how to run the codes? Pickup a Haynes manual - it is all there. The ECU is on the passenger side in the cabin behind the "kick panel". You just need a screwdriver to remove the kick panel and eventually the ECU hold downs. From there you turn a screw and two lights, one red one green, will flash any applicable code(s) at you. You don't need a voltmeter or anything else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the CHTS and Harness this weekend and I am still having the rough starting (when cold) problem. What would be the next thing to try to replace?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.