ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know a website where you can get a Cold Air Intake for nissan 300zx 1986 I looked at every car store in my area and all over the internet have not found anything on cold air intake only thing I for was a proformance air filter.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Just go to the local exhaust shop, get a 3" piece of straight pipe, cut it to fit, and get a K&N air filter that has a 3" flange, then strap it up and go. That's the best way to go about it, you can even use your stock air baffle that's next to the filter. Either way, that's your best option.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
There is no cold air intake made for our cars, infact there isn't much aftermarket parts made for our cars. As mentioned above make your own. There are several ways to go about it. The first is to remove the stock air box leaving the resonator in place ( the slightly smaller box behind the stock air box) and just attach a k&n cone filter to the resonator. The resonator doesn't restrict flow so there isn't any problem keeping it in place. What it does do is make the intake quiet, without it when reving it gives the engine a growl which some people like and some don't. If you don't want the resonator, as the other guy mentioned get a 3 inch diameter pipe from a local muffler shop. You can probably just get some scrape pipe from them for free or a few bucks. Just remove the stock air box and resonator, place pipe in place with filter at the other end. Lastly this mod doesn't do much if you have a non turbo, only a 3hp gain, so don't expect much. If you have a turbo, well then you'll be fine in the power department. Good luck

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If you cannot, or just plain wont work on youre z31, you need to be happy with it in its stock form. Any gains, that you can get, will come from youre creativity, and hard work, not youre pocketbook, for the most part. Actually, most of my car was built being a "Bargain Shopper", and having ideas that I just tried, instead of SAYING i'd try!! The money that I use comes from selling older parts that are useful on Junkyard runs, "recycling" my other performance parts, or Swapped parts for that matter, for the cash to build this car. I could not afford to do it otherwise. Doing anything youreself saves ALOT of money. Sorry about the Rambling...about the Cold Air intake on an NA 300xz.... I would move the airflow meter back about 4 inches, take a 4.5 radius 3" 90, cut a hole thru wheel well and install another 90 on the otherside pointing twards front. Extend as high up as you can. Build a splash sheild from sheetmetal, that fits around filter, and mount it somehow, but secure. Now that would be a true "cold" air intake. plue you would be able to hear the intake better, as it would be out of the engine bay, kinda where my blow off valve is.

Post Edited (Sep 3, 9:40am)

·
Registered
297 Posts
i was thinking of doing the intake relocation and putting an intercooler in the area that the stock airbox is. i saw it on an engine bay shot once and it was very inspiring.

just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.