ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Stock I belive AZ ZBum tested it to be something like 5-6hp and with mods you'll gain more. Also, on the 300zx there is no "cold-air" intake, there is just intake. Cold-air means the filter is in a location to get cold air such as on hondas where they route the filter to behind the bumper. On the 300zx you can't really do that so it's just a regular intake.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I think at some point similar "cold-air" set ups were proved to not really be effective becuase for 2 points. The first being that the intake pipe is so long before it gets to the engine that any cold air that was sucked up is heated up while traveling in the pipe. The second point being that there is a coolant line that connects to the TB which also aids in heating any air that travels through the TB. So while the air may be cool hitting the filter by the time it gets to where it matters to make hp it's already heated up. So basicly all that seculsion of the filter isn't worth the time. Removing that bar like it states in figure 2 does help with letter more air get to the filter so I would do that but the other steps are pointless.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Made a noticeable difference for me.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Not to be mean but unless you have a dyno test or track test to say how much it really helped a butt dyno isn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
With the filter (cone, not stock box style) sitting over the rad in my N/A it would suck HOT air when I was stationary and when I tried to pull away it would hold back... POP... and then go.

I did a cold air feed and never had the problem again.

I'm not sure how many people are actually going to do a dyno run after just a cold air feed... certainly not me!

Look at it this way...

It can't hurt!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
The problem you had where it would hold back...POP... and then go is not due to hot air going into the filter. That has to do with something completely different. Many people here run just a cone filter sucking in the underhood air with no side affects other than the 3hp gained. Like I said the cold air may be sucked up by the filter with the cold-air set up but by the time it gets in the intake manifold it's already hot so it doesn't make any difference.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ha,Ha, fair enough.

·
Registered
161 Posts
it makes a nough diffrence that you can feel it in the car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.