ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a self-made cold intake with 3" exhaust pipe with a open "cone" type filter. After admiring it one day, a thought came into my head. Will rain water splashing up from a car in front of me hit the filter and pass to my intake or clog the filter? Should I put a plate in front of the front half of the filter to guard it? Its on my 83ZX 2+2.

· Registered
142 Posts
to much water like a puddle would hydraulic a motor, no more motor for you , hope you have AAA andfull coverage ins, but a little rain shouldnt hurt be just like water injection for safety you should purchas the water prevention thingy from aem for $50 itll save your motor ,good luck

· Registered
433 Posts
unless you're driving through lakes or something you'll be fine. like cliff said, some people run actual water injection into their motors. not recommended, but a few drops here and there certainly won't hurt.

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Unless you live in OR or have a force induction you be fine. I've seen a turbo with pop on filter on the mouth that bend the rod due to compressing the water.

· Registered
574 Posts
what about other stuff?

im doing the same thing and have the same questions...what about dirt and dust? how often would i have to clean it? and should i put some kinda PVC cover over it?

· Registered
101 Posts
Re: what did you make your cold air out of???

I am looking at doing this same mod but not really worrying about the rain gettin in. But i was wondering on what you used to make it yourself??? and i really cant find anywhere on the net that really makes a cold air thats already made..... anyone know where i can get one or what i make it with?????

· Registered
185 Posts
AEM bypass Valve

is wha you need and it runs about 50$ but it is for hondas with cold air intakes that sit inside the bumper, not right under the hood like ours do, but if insist on having one it installs in about 5 minutes and will sit between the tube and the afm (thats the only place it will fit on a Z.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: what did you make your cold air out of???

I went to a muffler shop and for $15 had them make me a pipe that comes out about 4" then does and 90 degree turn then out about 10". You can get the cone filter from K&N or similar. After reading these posts...now thinking of putting the box back in...or maybe designing it different.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Don't you know, silly...

Ya, it stays in the garage....my wife doesn't like the fact that her mini-van got the boot out to the driveway...but hey....its a Z!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.