ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have no spark on the shiro.. got the ignition signal code.. so i went checking ignition parts.. im gettin no or very little spark coming from the coil wire.. i tried different coil wires and that didnt help.. so i tested the coil. i have 12v coming from both wires.. i hooked up a test light to both wires and neither blinked while cranking except for one time where it blinked for a short period of time but it still wouldnt run.. then it went to solid 12v again.. i went ahead and ordered a blaster ss coil from msd (wont be in until monday). but the more i think about it the more i think the ignition module died.. i put a different distributor in to see if it was the crank sensor and nothin... it has all new plugs/cap/rotor/wires.. i just took the coil off of that 84t motor i pulled and wired it in.. when i tried to start her i got alot more spark from the coil, but she still wont run.. could it be these coils are just weak? i might restab the distributor in to make sure my timing is dead on since i put that other distributor in but all that was done after the car died with no spark.. any ideas would be great.. more or less im asking is my ignition module dead?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isnt the power transistor the same thing as a ignition module.. i believe it is, correct me if im wrong. i think its just different terminology

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure, i know if hooked up backwards it produces weird spark signals, so i hooked it up both ways... neither helped~ look at the wireing diagram.. the one connected to the o2 sensor and something else has 12v on it.. thats the pos terminal

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Sorry, don't have a manual. I am searching for information on the operation and testing of transistors. That's all the "module" thing is. The high tension circuit in the coil is fired when the primary circuit is broken and the field collapses. The transistor is basically an electrical switch. (replaces points) The switching signal comes in the blue wire I think. I just have to identify the terminals.

Wire colors:
1. black (appears to be a ground?)
2. blue (signal/trigger?)
3. black/white stripe (to coil neg?)

Post Edited (Mar 31, 7:31pm)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have yet to be able to find the module on my shiro.. i thought it was the black box bolted to the front of the driver side strut tower ( it is black with like fins on top) but it has different color wires than what you describe and doesnt look like that.... where the heck is this thing located? i have traced wires and everything.. maybe im blind

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can someone post a pic of the whole electrical cluster on the driver side front of the engine bay with this part underlined.. i cant find any pics in my manuals..

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i hosted a picture at my cardomain site.. its the link below.. should be like the first pic.... if someone could tell me where the module is in that cluster is? or even better host the pic for me.. i never can do it right~ thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they are on the way

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok there are more pics up... thanks man i sure appreciate it

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the coil is off due to testing it and replacing it monday.. the coild is located near the bottom of everything.. i didnt realize you need that in the pic.. if you look at the first picture.. just left of dead center there is a large wire loom that goes into two looms.. on the right loom you will see two black holes, that is where the coil mounts.. i hope this helps..

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol.. man im lost.. you mean in your picture? im not sure where that is as far as on my car... im going to go look at my car once again.. hey by the way where did you get that zcar pillow on your site? i want one for my home..

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright.. i looked again all around the coil.. on the driver side front side of the strut tower-forward.. i have some vacuum components, boost sensor, and coil.. there is a black box on the strut tower that is an unknown.. but other than that i dont see this part....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.