Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

2 Questions:

1. What coil does everyone recommend to replace the stock one with in my 77 280Z. I just want a simple replacement, nothing fancy or complicated, and don't be afraid to say stay with stock. Just finished replacing everything else in the ignition and EFI so I might as well do the coil and make it complete.

2. There is a little gizmo that is secured to the 10mm bolt that holds the coil assembly to the fenderwall. It looks like a condenser. It has a bullet type of connector that connects into a wiring harness and another female connector that goes nowhere. What is this and should I replace it? Does it have anything to do with the coil or ignition?

Thank you very much.

John

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you have to replace your coil, you might as well get a good one. I use a Crane "Chrome" coil. Much hotter spark than stock, works better in the higher rpms. Fits in original location.

Yes, the little can with a wire is a condensor. Just reuse it. It is not an active component, and only serves to keep down interference on the circuit. You'll find them everywhere there are active electrical circuits and relays (alt, volt reg, coil). These devices all generate electrical noise. The condensor helps to shunt the noise to ground.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Specifically, the condenser is called a radio condenser. It does exactly as zuber says. It is to reduce interference to the stereo or radio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.