ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...this is the first time for me to ever run the codes on my car so be easy on me

my check engine light came on after filling my car up with gas on a trip back from austin today...the car seems to be running fine (no idle problems, and smooth with plenty of power)

i checked the gas cap...it is on tight

i got to the ecu turned the pot fully clockwise, waited about 10 seconds, then fully counter clockwise

the first slow flash on my check engine light blinks 8 times...then fast 7 more times...am i doing this wrong...tt.net has nothing for a code 87...is it different for the 96 z32's?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
wow...as I recall 96 has the OBDII, which is different from the other years and you can't do the normal ecu diagnostic as the others. someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would bet you are correct on this btz...i am hoping someone will tell me there is a list of codes for OBDII

i don't want to go to the stealership w/o knowing what is wrong...i do still have an extendend warrenty though so i am not too worried

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
red october is right. EVAP canister purge control solenoid valve circuit.

96 zx conv - do you have a 96 FSM? If not - you need one. All the trouble codes for the 96 are listed starting on pg. 228. (EC-70)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok...i am technically challenged and my check engine light is on again...

what is a purge control solenoid and what does it do?

i am going to have it fixed asap...just trying to get some more knowledge and make sure i am not damaging anything by driving over the next couple days

zazu: i don't have a fsm right now but will probably pick one up...definatly would come in handy as i put more miles on the Z

Post Edited (Jan 2, 5:04pm)

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
agreed. we get by with a little help from our friends... he he

"The evaporative emission system is used to reduce hydrocarbons emitted into the atmosphere from the fuel system. The reduction of HCs is accomplished by activated charcoals in the EVAP canister (Carbon Canister).

The fuel vapor from sealed fuel tank is led into the EVAP canister when the engine is off. The fuel vapor is then stored in the EVAP canister. The EVAP canister retains the fuel vapor until the EVAP canister is purged by air.

When the engine is running, the air is drawn through the bottom of the EVAP canister. The fuel vapor will then be led to the intake manifold.

When the engine runs at idle, the EVAP canister purge control valve is closed. Only a small amount of vapor flows into the intake manifold through the constant purge orifice.

As the engine speed increases and the throttle vacuum rises, the EVAP canister purge control valve opens. The vapor is sucked through both main purge and constant purge orifices."

Post Edited (Jan 2, 5:44pm)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.