ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won't start getting this code. Can somebody point in the right direction.

Is there a write up anywhere i can review

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FOUND something on TT.net . Would this keep the car from starting? Its been running a little rough lately. Stalling ruf idle ect. But sunday i backed it out of garage to vacuum it and it wouldn't refire. I smell gas its like its not getting any spark. Just continues to turn over and not fire.

Will clean connection see what happens

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Code 13 indicates a bad connection to, or a faulty coolant temperature sensor. It's the larger of the two sensors on the upper coolant hard pipe coming out of the front of your engine. Remove the metal retainer clip and then the plug. Check for corrosion. If the connection seems good then replace the sensor. It's about $20 or less at AutoZone. It's likely that they'll have one in stock. Or you could order an OEM and wait for it to arrive.

<< EDIT >> I see from your second post that you searched for a little information. That's good.

As for the gas smell.. The car could be running rich due to a bad temperature signal to the ECU.. But, I'd start by making sure that all the clamps on all the pieces of fuel line under the hood are tight. The most difficult ones to get at are in the front-center of the motor under the forward end of the throttle cable cover. Then look further.

Engine Temp Sensor (a.k.a. Coolant Temp Sensor):

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Yep - a bad sensor can cause the things to operate strangely...

·
Registered
568 Posts
I can tell you from firsthand experience, autozone coolant temp sensors are faulty for the Zcar. I tried two of them, both did not work. OEM worked as it should. This goes for pretty much anything autozone/zcar..... Fuel Pressure regulator, dampner, throttle position sensor...all failed to work properly. While their parts or suitable for other cars, I have found that for the Zcar, OEM is necessary.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Autozone CTS here for 1.5 years with no issues. FYI. I am usually all about OEM parts but a Z32 guru told me there wouldn't be any issues.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had this exact same problem today, this after getting the car back from its 60,000 mile Tune up 2 days ago! Installed a JWT pop charger as well! Talk about mad! Until I figured it out. My mechanic had an OEM sensor, in and out in 5 minutes.
I couldn't be happier right now. Ive done the whole motor accept the block/pistons.
Now on to Struts and Paint!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well icoudn't wait for an oem, so i went to my local Advanced Auto Parts and got a $18 Coolant temp sensor.

I think i got a quality one though! On the box it has a little NAscar sticker so its got to be quality, right? Also it says made in China so thats like Japan right?

Anyways plugged it in and it started right up.

Thanks for help

Z cars rule

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.