ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I have to double clutch my '76 280z when I want to switch gears. What I mean is that I push in the pedal then release it then push it in again, then shift....

Thanx
Tom

·
Registered
787 Posts
You need to elaborate on your question. Maybe your syncronizers are bad?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I need to know why my clutch is not working corectly. It seems that it went bad when the temparature dropped.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Put it in neutral let the clutch out, rev it slightly let it idle back down, then push in the clutch, wait a couple of seconds, then try reverse. If it won't go in, or grinds the clutch is either out of adjustment, or the pressure plate is getting weak.
Does this happen in all gears? If it does, it is most likely in the clutch, or the hydraulics of the clutch.
If it only catches in one gear, I would try Redline synthetic oil until you have time to rebuild trans. Joe

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my 78 however it seems to slip only when I try to go through the gears fairly fast. I've simply concluded that my clutch is going bad and that it's time to change it. I'm I correct in assuming that it's going bad or should I start looking into other possibilities? If the clutch is bad, can anyone recommend a good brand?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I think your slave cylinder is on it's last leg if you need to pump the clutch. Start from there, if you do not have any slipping. Take the cylinder out, 2 bolts plus hyd. line. Bolt new one in, bleed the system and you are back in business.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Forgot to mention, check clucth master cylinder as well. Don't forget the fluids.
No adjustments needed, Z clucth is selfadjusting, unless you will replace the master cylinder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.