Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I own a 1976 Datsun 280Z with 157,000 miles and the clutch just will not disengage. Even after replacing the master and slave cylinders it will not dis engage. Any tips on what the problem is and also what kind of clutch to buy when i replace it. Also, are there any tips on the process of changing the clutch. Love the 280Z cars. They are fun!!! Thanks, Rick

G

·
0 Posts
Unless you have some specific type of driving in mind (like drag racing), my vote is to go with the stock clutch set up. I know opinions will vary on that one but if you do not have a need for a heavier duty clutch why pay for it. Admittedly, I don't know much about the 76 model so unless there is some other reason to up grade, I'd go stock.

In addition to the clutch, you should have the flywheel resurfaced. Also, while the flywheel is off you should replace the rear main engine seal. Other than that, change your fluids and replace anything that looks bad. Hope this helps. Good luck. John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,
Thank you for the rapid response. Using the stock set-up sounds like a great idea. That was the direction l was heading but l wasn't sure. I believe my engine rear seal is leaking and also the transmission rear seal. Also l am planning on replacing the pilot bearing, throwout bearing and the clutch fork. Thanks, RICK.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is two different sizes to the Clutch, ensure you buy the right one. The size varies due to whether or not it's a 2+2. I used the bigger one I think 9 7/8 becuase I have a 2+2, only spent 130 dollars for a new one from the Auto Parts store. It comes with the pilot bearing, throw, fork, etc. Just ask for the "Clutch kit." I just put mine in 3 weeks ago. It runs like a brand new Z. I can burn the [email protected] out of my tires in 1st with no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply!!! I went to Nissan and got a clutch and a lot of other things!! Spent alot!! Want to burn rubber too!! Should get the parts today. Was the clutch installation very difficult? Thanks, RICK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.