ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i'm changing the clutch in my 73 240 and i was wondering if anyone could please enlighten me on the diffrence between the short preasure plate and the high one. What would you need to change, and what are the benefits. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
There is only one pressure plate and that is the bigger piece that weighs about 25 lbs. The other piece is the disc. You will need to replace them both. Along with that you will need to replace the throwout bearing and the bushing located on the end of the crank. The benefits are you won't be changing your clutch again 6 months from now.

> Hi there, i'm changing the clutch in my 73
> 240 and i was wondering if anyone could
> please enlighten me on the diffrence between
> the short preasure plate and the high one.
> What would you need to change, and what are
> the benefits. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
> Hi there, i'm changing the clutch in my 73
> 240 and i was wondering if anyone could
> please enlighten me on the diffrence between
> the short preasure plate and the high one.
> What would you need to change, and what are
> the benefits. Thank you for your help.

I think the answer you are looking for is to use the shallow pressure plate - it is superior to the design of the one for your year Z. These were used in the later Z-cars (1976+). I would suggest the '77 parts: clutch disk, throw-out bearing, and pressure plate.

You will also have to get another throw-out bearing collar (the later model neck is longer to take up the distance of the shorter pressure plate). The clutch disks should be the same (69 - 83 non-turbo).

If you are ever considering mounting a 5-speed, you should consider the parts change anyway.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ron,

I am going to be buying a pressure plate, clutch, and t/o bearing for my 70 240 would you recommend the 76 set up you disscussed? What are the advantages to using this clutch?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.