ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my clutch went out on me today sucks i was driving and all the sudden i have no clutch every gear is like in nutro. Just wondering about something because when the car is on now it can be switched to any gear without pushing the clutch in thats all part of the clutch going out right? Because my friend said he doesnt think it suppost to do that even when the clutch goes out.

·
Registered
286 Posts
if you have a haynes manual you need to check your clutch system( Clutch Master Cylinder...Clutch Slave Cylinder...to be sure you have adequate pressure....see your haynes manual if you have one Chapter 8 i believe it is...if you dont have a haynes manual...GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!! ASAP!!!!!!

1981 Datsun/Nissan 200sx 265000 miles and still going

1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo swap in progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Sounds like a clutch master or clutch slave cylinder. As mentioned, get yourself a Haynes manual and start troubleshooting.

Usually a clutch won't just "go out." Usually the clutch will start slipping more and more until it is almost undriveable. Even then you can switch gears.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i new my clutch was dieing for a while now because sometimes it doesnt want to go in gear when rpm's are high, its been making alot of noice, when i push my clutch in it makes a funny noice. I just been pushing my luck to see how long it would last. Was just about to get it fixed in a weak and it just had to go out on me. Its weird tho because that night right before it went out I started my car and the clutch felt realy weird almost like it wasnt mested up anymore because before I had to let the clutch go alittle more then half way for it to ingage but that night it was engaging perfact for some reason. So my dumbass thinks (hmm maybe it fixed it self) so I take it to a 55 mpg speed limit road red line 1st gear and it wouldnt go in second so i pumped the clutch a little and then it went to second red lined sencond gear once i went to 3rd gear i had no more clutch. I pushed in the gas and it was in nutro but I was in 3rd gear

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
If the car is on and you can put it into any gear without using the clutch and without grinding, this means that the spring on the pressure plate has collapsed and therefore it isn't pushing back up against the flywheel.
If this has happened, the pedal should have very little or no stiffness, cause the spring inside the clutch is what pushes the pedal back up after you've pushed it down with your foot.

If it were any part of the hydraulic system, you would have the opposite problem, and when the gears would grind even when you pushed the clutch in all the way.

You're probably going to have to replace the clutch.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I knew I had to replace the clutch but my question from the start was if it was natral for it to be switched to any gear without pushing the clutch in because my friend was not sure that was suppost to happen. Ok so now I know what happened clucth is alreadying bein replaced. I hate leaving my Z in the parking lot doing nothing but its only for a few days. Theres another guy with a realy nice z31 at my APT's he probly laughs at my Z because it always seems to be messing up but as long as I seen his Z it seems to always be in mint condiction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.