ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my '82 zxt redone (new injectors,turbo,engine, clutch).....had someone else put in the clutch...runs like a bat.......will bark the tires in 2nd (maybe 3rd & 4th too)....but it seems like i'm not accelerating as i should be (from looking @ the tach )...if i were to "dump it" in first...it would definately burn all the rubber off of it...
but it still seems like it may be slipping in the higher gears...it just doesnt seem to "keep" me thrown back in the seat (as much as it should) going through the gears.....could it "not slip" on take-off and then "start slipping'
in the higher gears?
thanks, s

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Yeah, they can slip at higher rpm while accelerating, mine does this. Its actually takes more clamping force at higher speeds as the weight of the vehicle and air resistance start to have more effect. Mine holds strong 1-3rd but at the top of 4th and 5th it will slip. I've thought about changing it but its really only a problem @130+ so for now I'll live with it. I'm using a Nissan heavy duty clutch, nothing special I'd rather the clutch be my weak link instead of trashing transmissions.

Matt

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well i have 2 question and one answer for yah

Questions:
1. How much did it cost you for all that if you dont mind me asking? if you dont want to post it hit me at [email protected]
2. Do you have a digi-dash ( not sure if they came with this year or not )

Answer:
1. Dont really think theres anything wrong with it, prolly just perception, but when in doubt post it, then take it to a mech. to have em check it out.

Hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Or you could try to adjust it slightly for best performance. Pretty easy to do.

Where the pedal pushes the rod into the clutch master cylinder, there is an adjuster. Threads are on the rod. There is a locknut that must be loosened first, but once it is out of the way, it goes like this...

Screwing the rod in towards the pedal (counter clockwise) will let the clutch engage later relative to pedal movement, and unscrewing the rod from the connector at the pedal will let the clutch engage sooner relative to pedal movement. Unless the thing is way off, all you are doing is moving the moment of engagement/disengagement in or out. Adjust it too far in and you will have problems engaging any gears (clutch not fully activated), too far out and you will have slippage with the foot off the clutch.

This is something you can play with, and get right. Sounds like you are pretty close now, and just need a half turn or so on the clutch engagement rod. Don't forget to tighten the lock nut. I usually loosen the lock nut, turn the rod by hand, and take it for a spin. If it isn't right, I stop somewhere safe, and adjust it some more. When I'm happy, I take it home and tighten the locknut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.