ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm crusin in any gear at aroud 3000 rpm and I floor the gas my z revs up to about 4500-5000 rpm and then the car starts to go faster (basically the rpms go up, but the speed stays the same). Could this be a result of adding an exaust system and a new style of air filter (I removed the air box and made a K&N cone filter on the end of a tubing setup)? Anyone have any ideas?
Thankz
TC280zxt

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You need to replace your clutch. Has nothing to do with exhaust or intake filter. Your clutch disk has worn and needs to be replaced. You should replace your clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and bushing. Also, it is always a good idea to remove the flywheel and have it turned when you put in a new clutch.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yep I agree it's probably a case of it was almost ready to go, and the additional 10 HP or so you just made was the straw that broke the camel's back.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thankz guys, what type of clutch

A friend was talking about a triple-plate?
I'm clueless in the clutch/drive train area, so what would you suggest?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: what type of clutch?</b>

Your best bet if you got $$$ is a Centerforce II clutch I think your friend is thinking of a dual friction clutch (am I right anyone out there?) The Centerforce II is good for more than 300 hp so it will work well as you decide to add more hp ( I know you probably will) It is rated as 60% more holding power over stock. I have one and it seems to be working just fine.
I think I paid $300.00 for mine with a 20% club discount at Nissan.

ZR8ED.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>RE: Clutch Masters</b>

I am running a 'Segmented Kevlar' Clutch Masters 225 mm (non-turbo size) in the stealth with no prob. The car currently produces over 345 hp and 350 ft/lb of torque at the wheels, with 275x40-17 road race radials - very sticky. This car has been road raced, drag raced, driven across the country, and made over 130 full power pulls on the dyno.
The kevlar material is extremly durable (last 20 to 40x what a dual friction or full metal would), engages very smoothly and holds the power. I am not endorsing this clutch because we sell it. I stand behind it because its proven and it works.

BTW, this same style clutch held over 477hp at the wheels on project MR-2 in SCC magazine.

Stealth

·
Registered
149 Posts
RE: Clutch Masters

How much do you sell just the disk?

Danilo

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE: Clutch Masters

I think your friend ment to say Triple puck.It has 3 or some times 5 puck,I think it's for weight savings.They have pictures of them in those Turbo,Super Street,and Scc.magizines

P.S. looks kind of like a tri star and five star wheels .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.