ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my first attempt at installing a new clutch. Needless to say I have a problem. The slave cylinder piston is fully out, but will compress and the fork moves, but there is no pressure against the fork/piston. The clutch pedal just goes straigth to the floor. It feels like the clutch is not disengaging. I installed the longer boss of the friction plate towards the rear of the car. Any ideas what I did wrong??

Thanks
Cliff

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Kind of hard to tell what exactly is going on by your question.
Did you change the collar that the release bearing sits on ? There are different lenght collars and if yours is too short you wont get enough travel to colapse the pressure plate.
Also, bleed out the system. Adjust your pedal height and length of the rod on the slave cylinder if you have an adjustable one.
If your pedal still goes to the floor then I would say the seal in the master cylinder is bad and its bypassing.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i think it might be that you need to bleed the system. If you dont have any pressure on the pedal then you probably need to get the air out of the lines.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me elaborate a little. I doubt very much that it has anything to do with the clutch master, hose, or slave. They are all new within the past year or so. They were working before the clutch swap, and the system was not opened, just removed the slave from the tranny. The new throwout bearing looks just like the old one and I reused the same release bearing collar.
There seems to be no pressure on the throwout bearing fork. Shouldn't there be some pressure to return the bearing to a rest position and posg the slave cylinder piston?

Cliff

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Have you tried it to see if it works? The first time I replaced a Z clutch YEARS ago I though something was wrong because the pedal was so light, turn out it was fine. Hard to tell from here what is wrong if something is..

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Is it possible that the release bearing collar got turned 90 degrees and the fork isn't pressing on the tabs on the collar ? Or...wrong pressure plate ? If everything was good before than the work or the parts have to be susspect. Why did you change the clutch ?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
"but there is no pressure against the fork/piston"

Sounds like the retaining springs may have been installed wrong and maybe let the collar spin per Graham's thoughts. Looks like you'll have to drop the tranny back out : /

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.