ZCar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
All that slop is just movement of the pedal before the pin catches the master rod. Its not like the rod moves 1/2 an inch.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
In order to assess that ....I cannot see how much slop ( which would indicate possible preload ) ...
So I dunno... BUT each assy needs to be within spec before moving onto the next.....
This was a swap... so right now all bets are off...your behavior ( as pre description ) states that your engage / disengage point is at the top of the pedal.

This IMPLYS your master is not bleeding back ( at least to me ).

So here's 2 tests..
1) if you have an assistant under the hood with a rag... and pop the master cylinder cap.... When you ( quickly ) step on the clutch, and release...
Does the assistant see a stream of fluid leaping out of the rez?

2 Assistant in car you under car...
Can you wiggle the piviot arm or is the slave pushing down hard... it should barely be contacting the pivot and easily be pushed back ( so the slave compresses )
Next, when the assistant steps on the clutch, how far does the slave move?

Mike

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I will do both tests tomorrow. But if I remember correctly, the slave piston is putin a good amount of force on that lever. Tomorrow will tell for sure.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
"This IMPLYS your master is not bleeding back ( at least to me )."

I've been doing a lot of research on that and I'm starting to convince myself that may be the problem. Maybe the return hole is blocked somehow. Too bad I have to wait until tomorrow for an assistant.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well I got impatient and went out to try and determine if the return hole is working or not.

I removed the cap for the master and placed a dry tissue over the top. I sat inside the cabin and at first slowly pressed in the clutch. Then I violently masted it a couple times. I went back out and the tissue was completely dry.

Does the fluid return with enough force to spray back up and hit the tissue?

I still wasn't satisfied with that, so I set up my cell phone to try and record video in the cylinder as I pushed the pedal. That actually worked very well. Take a look:

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/dudekyle2002/Phone Uploads/?action=view&current=2011-11-06_01-39-55_544.mp4

And I did it again:

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/dudekyle2002/Phone Uploads/?action=view&current=2011-11-06_01-38-35_723.mp4

Now I didn't drain any fluid out of the reservoir so it's still sitting at the max level. But wouldn't I be able to see at least something as the fluid returns?

(since i was sitting in the drivers seat pushing the pedal, what your seeing in the video is all I have seen so far. Maybe I'll be able to see it moving with my own eyes tomorrow?)

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Okay, I woke up sleeping beauty and she agreed to come outside quick and help me with this. I turkey basted the fluid down to the min line and she romped on the clutch. I didn't see anything at all. No fluid came flying at my face, no bubbles, no wave of DOT 3 brake fluid rippling inside the reservoir.

We'll do test 2 tomorrow, but it looks like test 1 already showed a failure.

Is there a way I can clean the return hole? I don't even know where it is.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Not W/O full dissassembly....
you should see SOMETHING

maybe as an assist you could push the slave back quickly...to see the fluid return

Remember there is a fixed amount of fluid in the system
Whatever you pump ( to cause the slave to move forward ) and push the slave back home all the way.. there should be about 5/10 cc's of fluid

What color is the fluid?
and are you using the stock lines or aftermarket direct from master to slave ?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Aftermarket one piece directly from master to slave.

The fluid is all new, its almost clear with like an amber tint

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Alright, I performed the second test today with the help of Amber.

I was NOT able to budge the lever the slave pushes on. I even got a crow bar and tried prying it against the bell housing a little bit and it didn't budge. The slave was putting way too much force on it.
And I couldn't rotate the slave rod with my fingers either.

I took a picture of how the slave rod extends normally and with the clutch pedal fully down. There is only a half inch of movement. See for yourself below. Does this safely conclude that the fluid is not returning to the master?

At clutch pedal rest:

At clutch pedal fully down:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
They are new from my swap yes. The master is an autozone brand, and the slave is a weird brand from conceptz's website.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
You SHOULD be able to push the slave shaft all the way back ( left in your pix ) so it bottoms out...
a 1/2 inch seems like not enough travel.

Something is wrong if you CANNOT push the slave shaft back.... Look at your own pix, the length of the slave is ~ 3"
The plunger & shaft should go back at LEAST 2"...

That means the only thing holding it from coming back is hyrdaulic pressure!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Alright so I think I know what my problem is thanks you you guys.

So would the master be the thing I need to replace? Or is it possible the slave could be the problem? The master has that return valve right?

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
are they both new??
and the master has a port that releases pressure when fully back...
you might not be fully back.....

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
remove clevis pin and pull master cyl shaft twds rear of car... if it moves.. you were not "home"

41 - 60 of 112 Posts