ZCar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue where engagement is all the way at the top of pedal travel. I got underneith and adjusted the shaft going into the master cylinder. All that did was give me more pedal movement, but the clutch is still engaging at the very top(or end) of pedal release.

Ideas where to go next?

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
when you installled the pivot ball on the transmission (if you even replaced/removed it at all) you DID remember that big thick lock washer right? Otherwise try bleeding it, or perhaps the master is bad? but you bought new master/slave for the swap iirc

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I did replace the lock washer lum. Master is new, and I haven't tried re-bleeding. The pedal still feels firm and springs back, but its worth a try.

It wasn't always engaging at the top. I feel like one day it was 1/2 pedal travel one day, and now it all the way at the top.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
How much free play do you have in the pedal assy?
Are you SURE the master comes ALL the way back?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
In parallel with Vig's master cylinder coming all the way back: were the clutch arm switches adjusted to get pedal height "H" in FSM before manipulating the position of the master cylinder push rod threaded yoke? The switches are close enough to the pedal pivot point that a little adjustment effects the pedal a lot further away from the pivot point.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
After the swap, did your cruise control work?
What did you do for the clutch safety interlock?

That MIGHT be holding the pedal a bit to far down...
( thinking out loud )

Mike

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still having this issue. To reiterate:

Clutch disengages at very top. Its at the top so much, I don't think the full pressure of the clutch is on the flywheel, as at very high rpm's it feels like it starts to slip. The clutch is brand new, so I don't think its already warn out (though I'm not 100% ruling it out).

I tried adjusting the splined rod coming out of the master cylinder, and what that did was make my pedal come out farther, but the disengagement is still at the very top.

I also bled it really good again and no difference.

Before I drop the tranny (which I'm seriously dreading), can you guys think of ANYTHING else which may be the problem?

I want to get a picture of the plate which the slave pushes on. Maybe the hydrolic arm is pushing too much as the pedal normally sits at the top?

And this happened like all at once it seems. After my swap, it was engaging 1/2 down as it should, then it seems I didn't drive the car for about a week and all of a sudden it's disengaging right at the top of the pedal.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I went out and tried adjusting it. I turned the splined rod counter clockwise almost all the way. This sucked my pedal down towards the floor and gave me less angular movement of the pedal, but the engagement is still at the very top of that small movement.

I checked the two switches which can be adjusted, but my pedal (the green pads) rests like 2 inches away from the witches and never comes close to hitting them.

Also, I can now move my clutch pedal about a half inch back and forth without much resistance. If I pull it out towards the seat, it will stop like its being held back by the master cylinder or something. Then if I push it, it will fall to where the it rests on the rod and wont come back up again unless I pull it up. It's hard to explain, I'm going to have to take a video.

After all that, I park her over the pit and bled the **** out of it again. There was no difference. I snapped these pictures of the slave and the rod it pushes on. This is how it looks like when the pedal is resting normally:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My clutch only has like 1000-1500 miles on it. Could it possibly be dead already?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just for shits and giggles, I went and turned the splined adjustment rod all the way out clockwise so the pedal traveled towards the driver seat. This gave me a lot of pedal range, but engagement is still at the very top of the pedal.

It also took away that pedal movement I was talking about earlier, and now its hitting those two switches.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could it just be that the slave cylinder is pushing too hard when the pedal is normally at rest? Shouldn't that lever be back farther?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's how I'm feeling. Anyone able to get a shot of theirs for comparison?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think that slave is either a napa or autozone part. I remember that the holes on the slave for the 2 bolts were just a little bit too small for the diameter of the bolt, so I had to drill into them and bore out the holes about a millimeter. Maybe wrong part?

It's the second one I've had so far.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My first slave was an autozone part. I broke the bleeder screw off of it, so I ordered a new one from ConceptZ. It's Centric premium brand. Both I remember having to bore out the screw holes to get the bolts to go through.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts