ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1977 280Z - clutch pedal goes to the floor - probably the master cyliner??? Can someone out there give me some real good directions for replacing this thing. It doesn't look too difficult, but I never did one before.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Maybe not Master Cylinder

Unless you have fluid leaking out around the master cylinder somewhere I would check the slave cylinder on the side of the transmission first. If there is drippy fluid down there it is your problem. It is not difficult at all to change out. I've done it twice now on my '77 - once with each transmission - and it only takes about 30 minutes. E-mail me direct if you have any questions.
The master cylinder is a different story. Much more involved and tricky - including being sure that you precharge it with fluid before installing.
Phantom

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wait a minute.....

Are you sure its the clutch master???? Is there fluid in it??? is it leaking???? When there is fluid in the master, does it move the slave cylinder piston???

If your sure its the master.... its a well known practice to replace both... master and slave.... cost is pretty low too.

To replace the master, there's 2 nuts that hold it on to the firewall. remove the line to the slave cylinder first. I like to use a flare wrench. This prevents stripping the coupler that holds the line on. Then remove the 2 nuts.... Its pretty easy to do.

When reconnecting the line to the master or the slave, I like to use teflon tape on the coupler. This insures a good seal.

I think you'll do fine.... just make sure its the problem before replacing....

Good Luck,
Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Maybe not Master Cylinder

How do you "precharge" the master before installation? I lost all clutch pedal effort after rebuilding the engine out of the car. I never opened the hydraulic system so I'm not sure what caused it. I replaced the slave but cannot get fluid to bleed out so it seems it must be the master. How do you remove the attachment to the pedal from under the dash?

thanks,
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.