ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the restoration of my 260z, I replaced release bearing, clutch cover , disc & slave cylinder. I just got my Z running & I'm test driving the Z in my driveway. The withdrawal lever is not returning all the way, therefore the transmission will not engage. Any thoughts?

· Registered
2,676 Posts
Two things

When you replaced the release bearing did you change the collar that it sits on? Also match up your newslave with the old one. You might find the rods are a different length.

· Registered
651 Posts
There's a nut and locknut on the push rod in the slave cylinder. It sounds like it needs to be adjusted. Also you should replace master and slave cylinders in pairs. You'll be pissed when the master blows its seal a month later. When you replace the master, save the push rod from your old master. You might need it...
SoM

· Registered
651 Posts
Oh...

well, that sucks. If you had to force the slave into place (pushing the withdrawal lever) then the problem is with the master/slave system. Otherwise the problem must be internal in which case I can't help you, see Graham's ideas...

One thought though, what if you use the rod from your old slave cylinder. Is it a different length?
SoM

· Registered
107,597 Posts
Re: Oh...

i had this problem the first time i did a clutch change,,,,,the collar that the release bearing rides on got rotated somewhere in installation, and the ears did not ride on the release fork right. somehow the collar would get caught on the shaft and would not return. try banging on the release fork lever to push it towards the slave,,,,if it pops back,,,this might be your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.