ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally had the $850 ($425 US) I was quoted to overhaul my 79's clutch. Took the car in on Monday morning (max speed about 28mph, reving at over 4500rpm). I asked if they do exhaust work, to which the guy replied that yes they do, and yes, my car sounds like it needs some work. I told him that I had been advised there was a leak in the exhaust manifold, and he said he'd check it out for me whilst doing the clutch job.

This morning (Tues) the mechanic rang me to tell me what he'd found. On top of machining the flywheel and replacing the clutch plate, putting some sleeves on here and there, doing something to sprogits? and so forth, he found a broken engine mount and gear stick housing/mount (?), and worn/dead bushings in the transmission. He says the bushings would have worn due to the clutch problem (as it has been harder and harder to change gears due to the clutch plate going, it's been wearing on the bushings).

[Does that all sound feasible? The car was purchased as a parts car, then parked for 6 months without a bonnet in tropical conditions, before I bought it and replaced its missing parts from my rust bucket]

As for the exhaust... he said it looks like someone has tried to work on it before, and done a horrid job. One of the studs is broken, and the manifold has then been gammied up to try and keep it sealed (which hasn't worked). There was also a hose somewhere which was splitting because it had been damaged. I didn't write it down (which of course I should have) but there was also something which was rusted out...

The new quote is $1500 ($750 US) for all the above work. He said it's mainly just parts, as the labour wont increase by much, except for machining the broken stud, and refacing the exhaust manifold.

So I've avoided getting extractors, or having to get a new manifold.

I have asked for all the "broken" parts to be put in the trunk, so I can check them out (and keep for my restoration scrapbook). He had no problem with that, and what he has told me all seems to make sense, so I don't think I'm being ripped off.

I told him I only had the $850, and he is willing to let me pay the balance over the next month or so, which to me further indicates someone not aiming to rip you off.

Might have found "that" mechanic I was looking for - though I'll keep my final word til after I've got the car back and driven it for a while.

· Registered
267 Posts
It may be cheaper to find a 2nd hand engine / tranny / exhaust to put in..... but then i guess you have to pay for the install. ( i got a parts car with a L28 and a 5 speed for 1100 here in melbourne)

A fully reco L28 is about $1500 AU (well is was a couple of years ago.....)

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did consider a swap... but even the local Jap Motor people said they didn't have an L28e, and there's no such thing as a Z at a wrecker here in Darwin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.