ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I successfully bled the clutch this weekend and finished up my clutch replacement job. Thank God!

I wanted to post and note a few points in order to get them into the search listings for future occurrences.

1. chezam here on zcar.com was right.

You can bleed the clutch without having to depress the clutch or bring it back up. The fluid running through apparently will bring the air bubbles out as it goes along. Simply continuously fill the clutch master cylinder with clean brake fluid until you don't see air bubbles in the bleed hose.

2. Buy a "One-Man Bleed Kit" from Autozone (or your local) - $6.99. IT IS SO MUCH EASIER! The nozzle fits right into the bleed screw - there is no chance you will have air escaping. The bottle has a magnet you can attach to your oil pan. This made a world of difference for me. 15-minute job with this tool.

3. Open the top of the master cylinder fluid reservoir and visually ensure your fluid level. My biggest screw-up was trusting what I saw from the outside of the bottle. It appeared to read "MAX" but when I opened the reservoir it was simply dirt caked on the sides - it was completely empty from bleeding.

4. The replacement of the clutch dampener with the 280ZX brake hose is worth the while. It only takes 15-30 minutes and it saves you from having to bleed your clutch in two different places.

Thanks very much to zcar.com'ers for tips provided recently and in older archived posts! I could not have completed my clutch replacement without the tips!

Post Edited (May 9, 8:44am)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
88 - I have only driven it once since - and a short distance - so it is hard to say. It did seem like it felt "different." I need to make an adjustment to the clutch height. Now that I have a fresh, thick clutch plate to work with a little tweaking is in order! I will try to post again when I have more opportunity to drive it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
3. Open the top of the master cylinder fluid reservoir and visually ensure your fluid level. My biggest screw-up was trusting what I saw from the outside of the bottle. It appeared to read "MAX" but when I opened the reservoir it was simply dirt caked on the sides - it was completely empty from bleeding.

I know exactly what your talking about here......... exact same thing happened to me.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.