Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is my first post. I have done numerous searches on this particular problem my z is having. My Z is a 1989 2+2 with AT. It has been into the Nissan shop three times-- no luck. I am hearing a clunking noise coming from the rear as I accelerate the car, mostly from the drivers side. Also, when I make a turn left or right and accelerate through the turn the noise gets louder. The clunking sound is constant. The Nissan mech. had no clue. He tightened the driveshaft. Now the sound is louder. He checked all bushings they are O.K.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
880 Posts
well normally when 300zx owners complain about a clunk everyone says differentail/crossmember mounts.. i would like to think a certified nissan tech could diagnose something as simple as slack in something in the rear end.. but who knows... check ujoints, mounts, bushings, transmission mount.. pretty much anything that can move.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
check you CV's too...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
ahhh the infamous rear clunk. Replace your rear cross member bushings and you should be good to go :). But while your at it id just replace all your bushings, get the polyurethane kit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really notice the clunk when I make a right hand turn and accelerate.
Yes, the clunk is continuous but not as noticable as when I accelerate. I feel the clunking in the car when I make the right turn and accelerate.
Thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to take it to another dealer. But, the next dealer is 70 miles away. That's what I get for living in a small MN town. Thanks for all the inputs.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Not exactly sure what kind of clunk that you are talking about but perhaps this will help. When I first got my Z, when i would accelorate hard, a sound would come from the back of my car and it sounded like a dry crappy windsheild wiper dragging accross a window. Took me a while to figure out what it was, but it was my plastic wheel wells bottoming out. I had really bad shocks all around. Replaced them and I was good to go. The sound ur having doesnt sound like mine but, perhaps your muffler is bottoming out or something else. Look into it. Have someone stand on the side of the road and examine the back of your car as you accelorate or make a right hand turn. see if he can visibly see something hitting the ground when you accelorate.

·
Registered
559 Posts
check the cv's r halfshafts..i could care less what you call em...umm....as long as you know all the type of bearings in them lol...red..do you know what type of bearing is in the rear shafts...as long as its not the cross slotted i wont worry bout you puttin em together..the cross slotted bearings can go back together inproperly...if you take em apart..and this causes the universal movement to lock lol..dont want that..just let me know or show me a pic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.