ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm experiencing a metallic clunk sound upon releasing the clutch pedal with the transmission in neutral. There is no groaning or squeaking, so I think my throwout bearing is ok. Clutch hydraulics are brand new, and the pedal is adjusted per the FSM. I can actually feel the clunk in the shift lever, and it occurs just prior to full clutch pedal release. I replaced the hydraulics because the pedal was soft, and master cylinder seal was failing. I thought maybe the hydraulics were causing a clutch drag, but now I'm not sure that was the problem. Reverse has been grinding upon engagement. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,408 Posts
Others may have good ideas, but I'd check the motor mounts and especially the transmission mount at the rear of the tranny. A shift in position of the engine or tranny might do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Others may have good ideas, but I'd check the motor mounts and especially the transmission mount at the rear of the tranny. A shift in position of the engine or tranny might do that.
I was thinking it might be related to play in the input shaft. I only get the clunk with no load on the clutch with the transmission in neutral. When a gear is selected, everything works normally. I was thinking it might either be a worn pilot bushing or input shaft bearing. The difficulty in putting it in 1st and reverse may be a worn synchro issue.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I was thinking it might be related to play in the input shaft. I only get the clunk with no load on the clutch with the transmission in neutral. When a gear is selected, everything works normally. I was thinking it might either be a worn pilot bushing or input shaft bearing. The difficulty in putting it in 1st and reverse may be a worn synchro issue.
Reverse does not have a syncro on our transmissions. If you are having a tough time getting it into reverse without grinding, hold the clutch and shift it into first THEN reverse (without letting go of the clutch).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reverse does not have a syncro on our transmissions. If you are having a tough time getting it into reverse without grinding, hold the clutch and shift it into first THEN reverse (without letting go of the clutch).
That does work. The problem that concerns me is the new clunk that I hear when releasing the clutch pedal while in neutral I don't remember it doing that before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i would see if the cluch is still in good shape and if its new or aftermarket i would make sure that is made to fit with your torque horsepower and everything is in there the way it should be

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm experiencing a metallic clunk sound upon releasing the clutch pedal with the transmission in neutral. There is no groaning or squeaking, so I think my throwout bearing is ok. Clutch hydraulics are brand new, and the pedal is adjusted per the FSM. I can actually feel the clunk in the shift lever, and it occurs just prior to full clutch pedal release. I replaced the hydraulics because the pedal was soft, and master cylinder seal was failing. I thought maybe the hydraulics were causing a clutch drag, but now I'm not sure that was the problem. Reverse has been grinding upon engagement. Anyone have any ideas?
Are you sure the throw out bearing is securely attached to the fork? Could it be shifting around?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts