ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think I'm getting closer to solving my hesitation problem. Heres some of the stuff I've done.

All rubber fuel lines have been replaced the one before the pump did have a very small leak. Changed the spark plug wires because the ones I got from pepboys started to leak. Changed the spark plugs(just to be sure).
Everything in and on the engine is less than a year old. Ignition, fuel, vacumn and every thing else.

I just took off the throttle body and discovered that it was opened up just a hair so I adjusted and cleaned it up.

Now for the question.

I got a digital multimeter today and check the o2 sensor. with the engine at operating temperature and all wires plugged in it reads around 0.487mV. But when i disconnect the wire going to the o2 sensor the wire going to the computer reads around 4.77mV and the o2 sensor reads around 0.320mV. I want to know if anybody else has tested out there o2 sensor this way and what readings they are getting?

I have a header on the car and the threaded part for the o2 sensor is about 1 1/2 inches long and at the bottom of the threaded part the hole for the o2 sensor is only 7/16 round. Could the o2 sensor not be getting hot enough or maybe the exhaust is not getting to it for an accurate reading?

I hope I can figure this problem out soon It's starting to drive me nuts.

Thanks
Russell

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Closing in on problem (hopefully)</b>

Russ, I forgot to tell you that you should replace that o2 sensor every 30k regardless of whether it failed or not. Fuel economy and driveability dictate replacement. One of the most common things I see as a parts counterperson is the lack of maintenance in the O2 sensor department. That does not mean that your O2 cannot last far beyond its expected life, but that some of the most common problems in newer computerized systems is that this basic item of information gathering is neglected due to inaccessability of difficulty in removal. Good Luck!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 o2 sensors that I bought within the past year. The problem I think I am having is that were the o2 sensor screws into the header It is not getting enough exhaust to be effective. The threaded part is 1 1/2 inches long and the hole in the bottom is only about 7/16 inches in diameter. Shouldn't the o2 sensor be in the exhaust flow?

Thanks for the help
Russell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.